‘Jelly Scrolling’ on iPad mini 6 Leads Apple to a Class Action Lawsuit - it can be fixed

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Just like the old CRT displays, modern digital displays of any type build up the picture by scanning across and down. The only way to reduce this is to have a faster line scan and is up to the design of the display. The overall refresh rate doesn't have to change. One can even see this jelly scrolling effect on an old CRT, especially when run at 50Hz refresh or lower.

The takeaway is that Apple can fix this if they want to with a really fast line scan using better hardware. Note that the line scan has a maximum time that it can take for the required refresh rate to be met, but the minimum time is a theoretical zero (nothing is infinitely fast) if taken to the limit.

iPad-mini.jpg

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
I would have never thought of starting a lawsuit for this. Wow!!

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
People will sue over anything lol. I think a lawsuit for this is ridiculous too.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
Agreed....it's annoying. What measure of inspiration could one have in creating some cool product but then have to fear a lawsuit because of something stupid. People wonder where all of the ingenuity has gone? Too much risk.

Arantor

I did find it interesting to note that the display controller in older devices is mounted in landscape rather than portrait which might affect how obviously this presents.

Can’t say I’d noticed this on my iPad though it’s an older model.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Indeed that was in the article. I wonder why Apple did this. It's obvious that they knew about this during product development and testing.

I'll see if I can play with one of these in the shop and see for myself how bad it is. I can imagine it can be quite annoying.

Back
Top Bottom