Greenland and an abandoned US airbase

TheURL

This is not technically my best video, but it is one of my favourites; mainly because of the range of emotions that it covers. It's one part of a trilogy covering a trip I did there in 2019, which I organised myself. There are few organised tours in Greenland, and they go to places I've already visited. The abandoned airbase featured has been the subject of political controversy for decades, as to who should pay for the clean-up. The irony is that, unbeknown to me at the time, agreement was reached the same year, and the clean-up started two months after I was there. So it's a sight I'll never see again.

The agreement reached, if you're interested, was that Denmark will pay but that Greenlandic labour will be used to carry out the work. The work is expected to be done very slowly, over a period of 6 years. So if you want to see it before it disappears, go soon!

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
Thank you, @TheURL. I have your video opened to watch today. So far I've gotten to the area where there are empty fuel drums from WW2. Who knew that existed?

TheURL

Yeah it's not that well publicised - but these things are all over the place when you start looking!

Ian

Hey Retro did you get TheEalingURL on to your forum? That's totally cool. I've been watching some of those videos of Greenland. Amazing spots of such beauty. The E URL has done stuff in Antarctica as well. It gives you a sense of perspective when all around are seals and penguins! Props to you and TheEalingURL.
PS You and I need to organise that drink soon. Ok Alcohol in my case and coke or something in yours :)

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Yes, @Ian you've just posted in his thread! 😛

Best to keep talk of meeting up in private conversation, but yeah, I'll be up for it.

StojanTim

Stunning scenery (notwithstanding the abandoned airbase) and nicely filmed. Those mosquitoes though o_O

Mars

Staff Member
@TheURL As you said, yeah that Abandoned Airbase video....certainly covers a range of emotions.

"no crowds taking selfies, just six of us" sounded like bliss. I wouldn't have minded to be the 7th....

But I confess that the polar bear remains put me right off; but that's just me.
I realise the locals have to eat and keep warm; and the animals always lose.

URL, You seem to always match the music in your videos to the scenes they depict. Sometimes cheerful, sometime sad and deep, but always tasteful, never intruding.

TheURL

Thanks Mars - animal husbandry and welfare is always going to be a topic of potential controversy and debate, and while I try to capture every aspect of life wherever we go, I'll never use what I think might be excessively gratuitous footage. But it's a judgement call and there are no guarantees of success! I spend a lot of time on the soundtracks - I usually reckon it's about 1 hour per minute of final film (excluding filming it in the first place of course!). Of that hour per minute, probably 25/33% of it is choosing soundtrack material and then adjusting everything to make it fit. That can be an extremely frustrating process but very satisfying when it all comes together at the end. Again, you're always going to have some people say they hated the music, so I just use music that I like - if anyone else likes it too then that's a bonus! :)

Back
Top Bottom