The Gotheborg

TheURL

Just occasionally my camera and passport are separated and I find interesting things to photograph nearer home. On Monday I got up at 6am to go and watch the replica sailing ship the Gotheborg arriving in London before docking in Canary Wharf. Here are some shots I took of it.

1 IMG_4853L2b.jpg2 IMG_4840L.jpg3 IMG_4825L.jpg

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
That's quite a sight. 😎 Looks like it must have a motor in it as the sails are rolled up. Could you hear any engine noises from it?

TheURL

Well I was nearly run over by a Toyota Prius in Battersea carpark once - I didn't hear it. And this boat was out in the middle of the river.

Arantor

I love the closer-up shot you have there, shame that the background is the Walkie-Talkie - I've never liked that building.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
I love the closer-up shot you have there, shame that the background is the Walkie-Talkie - I've never liked that building.
Yeah, it looks horribly lopsided, doesn't it? Don't like it either.

Arantor

Yeah, it looks horribly lopsided, doesn't it? Don't like it either.
It's actually a menace - remember when it was first built, it was actually damaging cars (in particular a very nice Jaguar) on the pavement because it reflects the sun on them. This has since been rectified, but even so.

I also don't like the Shard, though I have a soft spot for the Gherkin.

Anyway, the London skyline may be iconic but it's not *nice* and the ship in the front of it looks so much better.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Yeah, I do sometimes think of that melted car story. Anyone walking through that focal point could have been instantly seriously injured. Very lucky it didn't happen. How did the designers not realise this hazard at the planning stage? Do you know how they fixed the problem? I can only think that they must have introduced lower reflecting panels, because the overall shape hasn't changed. Nothing that a good demolition couldn't fix.

I generally like modern American architecture more than the British version as the buildings don't have such stupid shapes and tend to look the part. @Tiffany will approve. :cool:

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
@Retro I prefer modern architecture too, though really can appreciate the architecture from the Medieval Era, etc.

That one building leaning from the top, looks familiar like I've seen it in Engineering Catastrophes.:eek:

Awesome pics, @TheURL

TheURL

Here's a couple more. Regarding the London architecture issue, I have to say I love the Shard. I love Tower Bridge. And I love Crossness Sewage Works - but that's another marvel of Victorian engineering for another day. The Walkie Talkie building I could take it or leave it really. It's a shame about the difficulties it had, which were not unlike those of "The Ark" at Hammersmith which reflected the traffic noise of the elevated section of the Great West Road down into the houses below.

Attachments

• IMG_4814L.jpg
    IMG_4814L.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_4829L.jpg
    IMG_4829L.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 2
Back
Top Bottom