The Russia-Ukraine war thread

Retro

Founder
Staff member
This makes me pretty angry.

It's a horrible situation that Putin's created. If I was a Ukrainian fighter and saw a Russian soldier come towards me, I may know that he's being forced into it and doesn't really wanna kill me. However, that's what he's come to do and will do it given half a chance, so I'd kill him first, without hesitation. How horrible is it being forced into killing someone that I could otherwise be on friendly terms with and perhaps go for a drink with and watch football? This is what Putin has unleashed onto the world.

Tiffany

Pixel Princess
Staff member
Yes, exactly. I've seen enough movies, where fighters took a look at their enemy and walked away from them instead of killing them for that very reason. Terrible place to be in. The real life and death stuff, we as civilians are protected from.

Last edited:

Retro

Founder
Staff member
Putin's a bleeding' headcase, ramping up his threats of nuclear war. I can only hope that should he try to pull the trigger, there will be a mutiny to prevent it, as the other high ranking officials will know that they're dead should this happen and will want to prevent that. Sometimes self interest works for the good of all, but not very often.

Retro

Founder
Staff member
All about that sham referendum by Russia. What's the chance of all four regions "voting to join Russia?" How about 100%?

This is dangerous, because it gives Putin a pretext for nuclear war.

Crims

The internal politics regarding this issue just reminded me of the original problem in Russia only a few years ago. The right half of Russia were at odds with Russia because of trade with the East.

Tiffany

Pixel Princess
Staff member
There are a lot of Russian people trying to flee Russia since Putin announced the recall for people to fight for Russia. I read that flights were booked within a few minutes after his announcement and no more flights were available to leave to countries that still allow Russian citizens to fly too.

Retro

Founder
Staff member
An ex CIA officer (short video) thinks that Putin is likely to go nuclear as he continues to lose his pathetic war, sorry, "special military operation". If that happens, it will be the start of WW3 and we're all stuffed. I guess that will make the religious zealots happy at finally getting the armageddon moment they've been so desperate for, for so long. :rolleyes:

Looks like the nuclear mutually assured destruction scenario isn't putting him off, as I suspected. If he loses, then he's going to make sure that everyone else does too - totally unhinged madman. I can only hope that his closest staff mutiny at that point and refuse to launch to save their own skin, but I wouldn't rely on it.

Tiffany

Pixel Princess
Staff member
I do keep reading the same threats, as you added in the latest news @Retro, coming recently from a speech Putin made last week. The words he used were very strong and clear....chilling. 😟

Tiffany

Pixel Princess
Staff member

The discussion continues on the nuclear threat from Russia and how to eliminate the threat entirely or to strategically prepare for the possibility of tactical nukes.

Tiffany

Pixel Princess
Staff member
The US and other countries will not recognize his annexation of these countries, I've read too. I heard on the news earlier today, these people from these regions were forced to vote. Truly very sad.

Retro

Founder
Staff member
Oh yeah, forced at gunpoint, no less. How horrible is that?

What I don't get, is why bother with that charade at all? Just make up the result. Who's gonna check the papwerwork and how it was filled in?

btw, I wanted to be a lot ruder about Putin than I was there.

I don't think he's bluffing about nuclear war, either. He's set up the pretext to use nuclear bombs. The West better do something about him and fast.

Tiffany

Pixel Princess
Staff member
I'm always holding back too....:censored:

I fear nuclear war too. I had an article from a week or so ago that suggested Putin will strike our satellites first, and that was the pretext when he struck one of their own satellites months ago, to see the result. Wait, I think I can find the op-ed on this, that might describe what I'm saying better.....

Here it is:

Retro

Founder
Staff member
Bloody hell Tiffs, that's a really scary article, quite unsettling. :( I think Putin is determined and mad enough to do it, too. Thing is, if a journalist knows about this threat, an American one at that, then you can be sure that the American government does too and they're not just gonna sit idly by while Russia does this.

It's bad news overall, though.

Arizona

One could argue that if Putin was unstable enough to use a nuclear bomb, he would have done it already. Instead, he has exhibited some impulse control and opted instead for the protracted option of drafting unwilling Russians.

Last edited:

Retro

Founder
Staff member
He's building up to it though. His illegal annexation gives him the pretext as explained in the articles above and generally in the news.

When he says he's not bluffing and hints at nuclear war, unfortunately I believe him. I think he'd literally want the whole world to be destroyed than lose that war, even if he dies. Or put another way, if he can't have it, then no one can. That's deranged, a complete psychopath.

The fact he's not physically shown signs of readying them, as in your article, gives us some breathing room.

Arizona

I believe Putin’s tactical nuclear weapons are unusable. Even if their vehicles do work, the minute they turn their engines on to move they will be picked up by US and NATO intelligence.

I hope the private discussions the Biden and Putin administrations have apparently been having are along the lines of, ‘you move your tactical nukes and NATO will take them out with long range precision guided missiles’. It would appear this is the case from what Jake Sullivan, the US National Security Advisor to the White House, disclosed over the weekend.

The most likely nuclear scenario is, I believe, an attack by Russia on a nuclear power station in Ukraine. This could have a similar effect to a tactical nuclear explosion but would be easier to deny for the Russians, who accuse Ukraine of deliberately bombing their own power stations.

It is only Russia that has tactical nuclear weapons in this conflict, so it would be undeniable if they’re used that Russia is responsible, and hence trigger NATO action. So degraded are Russian conventional forces, that they would likely be quickly overcome by NATO forces if it came to that, which even with Putin’s other failings, presumably he realizes.

Retro

Founder
Staff member
I believe Putin’s tactical nuclear weapons are unusable.
Sheesh, I hope you're right!

I broadly agree with the rest of your post. Problem is that we don't have that insider knowledge, eg Biden - Putin private channels and other classified info, and no one can physically read Putin's mind, hence we're stuck with lots of speculation by me and you, the media and basically everyone else. It wouldn't surprise me if even Putin isn't certain of what he wants to do as it's a developing situation. The fact is that big cheeses in the American government are saying that they're taking his nuclear threat seriously, so we should sit up and take notice.

I still think he'll push it to the limit with nukes broadly as I described as I think he's that obsessed unless he's forcibly stopped, perhaps by a coup by his own side and removed from power. Again, my opinion, but hard facts are hard to come by here.

Arizona

Like when North Korea was trying to freak people out, I am buying more bottled water lately for the pantry :) Good to have anyway in case there is a problem with our community water company.

Tiffany

Pixel Princess
Staff member
Always good to be a mini-prepper :)

Came across this news this morning :cautious:

Israeli intelligence firm ImageSat International (ISI) said they had detected an "irregular presence" of Russian TU-160 and TU-95 strategic bombers at the Olenya Airbase near Finland. Satellite photos taken by the company revealed the presence of four TU-160s at the base on August 21 and three TU-95s on September 25th. The TU-160s one TU-95s are capable of carrying cruise missiles and strategic nuclear weapons.

Retro

Founder
Staff member
I knew that tyrant wasn't bluffing. :mad: How did the world let this cancer grow to this level?

As if the world doesn't have enough serious problems, we've now got this psychopath threatening to kill everybody.

Arizona

“Certainly, the risk is probably higher today than it was a month ago,” Rubio said, predicting that Russia would probably take an intermediate step.

“He may strike one of these logistical points. And that logistical point may not be inside … Ukraine. To me, that is the area that I focus on the most, because it has a tactical aspect to it. And I think he probably views it as less escalatory. Nato may not.”

Top Bottom