The Trump downfall thread

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
What a surprise. Musk assured everyone that Trump wouldn't be reinstated before Musk had created a "moderation council". Instead, he runs a simple poll which Trump "wins" even though Musk acknowledges that bots have affected it.

And just look at that percentage win too: just 51.8% in favour. That's the same narrow margin that "won" the brexit referendum. Funny that. Wouldn't it be even funnier if the real reason Musk bought Twitter was to reinstate Trump? It's worth a thought. It's never been especially clear why Musk was interested in Twitter in the first place and prepared to pay an enormous $44b for it, which was a lot even for him.

It also remains to be seen if Trump takes up the offer since it would most likely kill off his Truth Social platform. Time will tell, but I think he will.

Arantor

Trump almost certainly won't.

On the one hand, leaving Truth Social will make him look like a loser - because his own site couldn't give him the platform Twitter did. He's also called Elon a hypocrite and been especially uncomplimentary about him on the nature of his businesses (even if the comments were completely true, Elon has no idea how to run a company that isn't government subsidised!)

On the other hand if he did go back, that's only going to last as long as it takes for a Trump tweet to get 'deboosted' after which his minions will absolutely lose their minds.

As for Musk's overall motivation, I think it's more long-term - this article raises some interesting angles for discussion: https://bylinetimes.com/2022/11/07/...no-sense-unless-its-part-of-something-bigger/

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
I'm coming from the angle that he's got a vastly greater reach on Twitter than Truth Social which really matters, but you could be right.

Arantor

The reinstated account has only 1.4 million followers currently - with triple that on Truth Social. Though if he does return to Twitter that number will change quickly, I think.

But apparently he himself has said that he doesn't see a reason to go back, as Truth Social has taken its place. (I'd link the source but it's a paywalled Times article where the real info is behind the paywall.)

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
I'm not sure if we're following the same account, but this one still has 72.4M followers. This is the one that was banned. Can't believe it's active again.

1668950341514.png

Arantor

Interesting, it only showed me 1.4 million earlier, and following zero. I wonder if that's some of the distributed database catching up.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
That's a great find there, Tiffs. Didn't know anything about this merger before this article and it really changes the picture.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
Indeed it does. What does it say about a fledgling website with so much turmoil from the beginning?

Here's more of a deep dive into the Trump-World/Truth Social (Originally posted by Washington post and distributed by MSN):

Trump Media, the owner of the fledgling social network Truth Social, had just been boosted by a huge merger agreement and a flood of investment that had made the stake worth millions of dollars. Trump had already been given 90 percent of the company’s shares in exchange for the use of his name and some minor involvement, leaving everyone else to split the rest.

More recent:

Shares of the blank-check company set to take Trump Media and its Truth Social platform public fell sharply Wednesday after candidates endorsed by the former president disappointed in high-profile midterm election races.

Digital World Acquisition Corp.’s shares closed more than 19% lower Wednesday.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
Holy Moly....very good points in your article. Now there are lots more rabbit trails easily accessible for the legal agencies to research.

Arantor

It says over 80 million followers now, but thankfully the rest of the account is blocked because I have no need to see the content.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Here's some more analysis on Trump's likelihood of becoming president. He may actually end up being forced to give up pretty soon since nothing is working for him anymore. He's just a tired old trope that an increasing number of people aren't buying into. The end can't come soon enough.

The conventional wisdom has Donald Trump as either the man to beat for the Republican nomination or at least headed for a drawn-out fight to the finish with Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis. But could Trump flame out and not even make it to the Iowa caucuses?

It’s not as far-fetched as you might think. In fact, it’s not far-fetched at all.

Trump has severe strategic problems and polling problems, not to mention his legal difficulties. They all add up to a very rough trajectory over the next several months. Everyone knows Trump hates to lose. When faced with losing, he either claims he was cheated, or quits.

A year from now, Trump might be far enough behind DeSantis that quitting will be the only way to avoid losing.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
Good article @Retro and especially noticable coming from thehill.com. I'd say the majority of people I'm associated with are against Trump except for the few die-hards, which are being delusional at this point.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Err, no, just no. Not gonna happen. And can you see Trump as his running mate?! 🤣 No way would Trump agree to be second to anyone. I think he's having a little joke there.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
Say what you want about Musk, but he's certainly got a big "stir stick" and shaking everyone up. Throwing in his towel for DeSantis this early, lol, says a lot!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom