YouTube Travel Channel

TheURL

Not sure if anyone is interested but as a "serious amateur" photographer and videographer, maybe there is something of interest in this link here ? It's curious how YT's "up next" algorithm works - in 2019 I made a set of 4 videos all shot on the west coast of Greenland. It was only split into 4 parts only to maximise engagement, yet one of the videos has ten times as many views as the other three. Also slightly disappointingly my most watched video is one of someone else's work ("Brick Lane Busker"), though I appreciate that musical interest is general whereas my travel destinations are niche!

Last edited by a moderator:

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Yes, we'd love to see your videos. You're also welcome to write up your escapades as an article if you like.

Also slightly disappointingly my most watched video is one of someone else's work ("Brick Lane Busker"), though I appreciate that musical interest is general whereas my travel destinations are niche!
Well, yeah, the more banal and pointless something is, such as some famous vapid celebrity's dress at the Oscars, the more views it gets. It's just a fact of life, sigh.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
TheURL, you have an amazing travel channel! I'm looking forward to viewing it all. Thank you for sharing!

TheURL

Oh wow - that's really nice of you to say so. I'll be uploading two new ones in the next few days, and some more later in the year hopefully :)

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Feel free to plug them all on NZ if you like. This site gets more views than the activity level suggests. 🙂

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
Yay!!:) Can't wait to see what you upload, TheURL. I really love to see pictures of places that I know I will never get too. For that matter, I haven't been out of Texas since....ummm....let me think...it's been since 2017. :eek: The world has changed how we can travel and TheURL, you can bring the world to us! :)

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
@TheURL I just found your long forgotten thread in General Discussion, created before you had your own section, so moved it to your section now. :)

Geffers

Linux enthusiast
The YouTube algorithm is a mystery to many, I have a YouTube channel, no specific subject, more for my own enjoyment than any viewership figures but I've played around with 'shorts'. Oddly I've seen some shorts of London tube trains pulling into a station, quite a few of these get 1000s of views. I've posted a few, some get a few hundred views, others low views.

Been advised # tags important but I've found no obvious correlation.

Apparently too background music can help, also I understand if a short duration of music used (10 or 15 seconds) there is no copyright issue, not 100% sure.

I just use YouTube for some fun really, https://youtube.com/@send2gl

Geffers

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
The YouTube algorithm is a mystery to many
That's not surprising as Google don't explain it to prevent people from gaming it. Same thing with Google search.

Music copyright is usually tricky, so to avoid a copyright strike, it's best to use either the copyright free music distributed by YouTube, or third party sites.

Back
Top Bottom