64 OS makes a C64 feel fast and useful in today's modern world

HEXdidnt

Another random, yet fascinating result from the ineffable YouTube algorithm - a new Windows/Workbench style interface for the Commodore 64, seemingly geared toward usage with SD mass storage. It's surprisingly fully-featured and incredibly well thought out.

I'd be intrigued to know if it could run - and be worth using - on TheC64, given that's already relying on USB sticks for additional software...
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

More info on the 64 OS website.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
It’s nice to still see so much interest in these classic computers. In particular, I like to see demos running on them with modern techniques in them that couldn’t have been done at the time. It can really bring out unexpected capabilities in this old hardware.

I remember the limited amount of hacking I did on my BBC Master. I programmed the registers on the 6845 CRTC display chip to show strange display modes using interlace.

One I created had gaps like mode 6, but the characters were a quarter of the size so they looked so tiny and were interlaced and hence perfectly formed on my 12” green screen Phillips monitor. It was completely stable, too. Of course, it was kinda hard to look at for any length of time, but that wasn’t the point. That was really pushing that old display chip to its limits. 😎

The display resolution was 640x512 2bpp interlaced. Epic for a computer of that era.

Mort

A more text based approach should certainly make it a bit quicker than GEOS. Although that was rather nice on the C64, if a little slow.

Back
Top Bottom