A Bygone Era

Geffers

Linux enthusiast
I appreciate many hanker after days gone by, we do view through Rose Coloured specs. I often think of ex military guys who speak about the good times in Europe during WW2, Falklands, Northern Ireland, Iraq, Afghanistan etc. It must have been hell yet they recall the good times.

With many police in UK cities carrying machine guns now here is a nostalgic look at a day in the life of a copper in 1959.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Geffers

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Crikey that is bygone! The world has changed so much since then. I love how the program shows the policeman and the rest of the service as a model of efficiency when in reality it was anything but, not least due to the primitive technology of the time. That crook was remarkably cooperative, lol.

Notice how the policeman doesn't have a radio. This is because transistors were only invented in 1959, so it wasn't physically possible to build a handheld radio then.

Finally, this channel only has three videos, of which this is the first, so its worth checking out the other two. I've posted them here for convenience. The latest video is from a year ago, so this channel doesn't appear to be active.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
I've resorted to the fact that I'm officially "classic" myself, so seeing these video's of a bygone era is really nice. I mostly liked the "order" of a policeman's day, the daily regimen and also the way they treated people.

Back
Top Bottom