Airline Internet

Geffers

Linux enthusiast
Recently signed up for in flight internet on a British Airways flight. No encryption and no passwords.

Appreciate it isn't a cafe where any ne'er do well can saunter by and wipe one's hard drive BUT, would encryption and/or a password be useful at 38,000 feet above the Atlantic? Oddly I was not able to connect to a VPN either, not sure if this was a bandwidth or port blocking cause.

BA offer two options for internet. £20 for flight duration and claim good for streaming movies, there is plenty onboard anyway but guess all the big streamers are available whereas the onboard entertainment is good but limited.

Me, being a cheapskate went for the £4.99 option which is apparently suitable for text messaging, not sure if this is achieved by very low bandwidth throttling or what but was unable to ever surf any web pages.

Worked OK for whatsapp and telegram, except when it didn't work OK for whatsapp and telegram :cool:

Geffers

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
I can see where this would be really helpful while in flight. I don't fly much, but good to know I can get internet while in-flight if I wanted to have it, cool!

Geffers

Linux enthusiast
I can see where this would be really helpful while in flight. I don't fly much, but good to know I can get internet while in-flight if I wanted to have it, cool!
It is a novelty and that makes it fun.

I recall when my late wife was so excited about 15 years back when she ordered something from QVC whilst we were driving along in our car, in the middle of the countryside, laptop and mobile internet, the early days. It was all exciting back then but now has become a wee bit ordinary and expected. The magic and mystery is fading.

Geffers

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
It is a novelty and that makes it fun.

I recall when my late wife was so excited about 15 years back when she ordered something from QVC whilst we were driving along in our car, in the middle of the countryside, laptop and mobile internet, the early days. It was all exciting back then but now has become a wee bit ordinary and expected. The magic and mystery is fading.

Geffers

We need more "fun" in our lives! I can totally imagine your beloved wife ordering from QVC while driving in the car. It brings to mind the first time I called my dh on the phone from my car, so many years ago. It was much easier dialing a phone number with a touch-like key pad rather then the flat screen we have now. I guess that's a good thing, since we aren't supposed to be using our phones while driving. ;)

Back
Top Bottom