Are supermarket self-service tills fading away?

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
I hate the things and will avoid them as much as possible, especially if I have a lot of shopping. Seems that the general public tend to feel the same way about them too, so Morrison's and Asda have started reducing the number of them at their supermarket and putting more manned tills online instead. However, Tesco are still really keen on them, so I hope this trend puts pressure on them to reconsider.

After years of encouraging shoppers to scan their own groceries, some supermarkets are checking out a move back to traditional tills.

Asda said it would put more staff on checkouts, while Morrisons admitted it might have "gone too far" with self-scan. Northern upmarket chain Booths has got rid of them altogether.

The dreaded "unexpected item in the bagging area" announcement is among a list of customer complaints about self-service tills.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
Good for the UK....I'd be very happy if self-check-out was fazed out here in the states, or at least the large businesses where it's overused brought back real life people again. I know they won't though, poor humans are being replaced everywhere they can be replaced now-a-days....sigh.

live627

The local Home Depot has two. The machines constantly trigger "customer requires assistance" so there are two or three employees idling by. Does corporate make sense? No, but they make dollars!

Back
Top Bottom