Attack of the killer whales!

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
This is like something out of a movie, but it's actually for real.

A vengeful killer whale called Gladis is teaching gangs of orcas to attack yachts around Gibraltar, and has already struck three boats - sinking two of them.

It may read like something out of Moby Dick, but in this case the truth is stranger than fiction.

Researchers believe that a female orca called White Gladis is seeking revenge after being traumatised by a collision with a boat, or being trapped in illegal fishing nets.
Researchers believe White Gladis, pictured, is now teaching other whales to attack yachts - Grupo de trabajo Orca Atlántica
Researchers believe White Gladis, pictured, is now teaching other whales to attack yachts - Grupo de trabajo Orca Atlántica

Her attacks are now being copied by the rest of the nearby killer whale population, which has learnt how to ram vessels from their ringleader.

The matriarch is tutoring younger whales in the art of sinking boats; raising the prospect of future generations continuing the war on humans for years.

Conclusion: best to stay off the sea unless you're in a really big boat or ship.

Unfortunately, what might happen now, is that some bad people might take this as a cue to start hunting them to allegedly "remove the threat", but it's really just plain old murder of innocent animals.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
This is an amazing story. Very fascinating that it's becoming a learned experience from the junior orca's too. I really wouldn't want to be in a small boat and those orca's approach and start banging on my boat. :eek: Reminds me of the scene in Jaws 1 when the white shark was banging on the boat. 🦈

Mars

Staff Member
@Mars you might have missed this one.
I have missed this, yes. Reading it now, I just hope that people will not start taking this as an excuse to persecute orcas.
I know it may look like revenge, but I doubt it. It is more likely a lesson in survival, that the matriarch is teaching to the rest of her pod.
Having herself had a bad experience, she learned from it, and now imparts that knowledge to her family. Once the boat stops, the orcas see it as mission accomplished, they have stopped the menace, and they leave.
I can't escape the feeling though, that deep down we are so similar.....we, the orcas, birds, spiders, we all want to protect ourselves from harm, and get rid of the menace. The big and strong fight back, the weaker ones avoid confrontation by myriad of means, from camouflage to deception, to just fleeing. Bless them all.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
Have you all been aware of what's happening on the US East coast with the humpback whales and sperm whales dying and found on shore? It's really sad and the controversy in question is are the windmill generators causing their deaths (the sound of them in the water) or something else?

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
That's tragic. I know the motor sounds from ships disrupts many marine animals, so I'm not surprised if this is happening to them, somehow. Not sure how the windmills could do this though as they're up high, well out of the water.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
Very tragic, yes. Marine life is dependent on our stewardship to keep the oceans safe for them....sad!

That's what I thought too. I had to look for an authentic picture. Apparently, New Jersey will be the site of the largest sea coast wind farm, however the project has been delayed from the news I read.

Here's a company that has contracts to build wind farms....and I also read that the Biden Admin wants and has approved to have wind farms along the whole US states coast lines. 😲

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom