Brazen shoplifters now use wheelie bins to loot entire aisles

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
The degree of brazeness by shoplifters is just unbelievable and is all because the stupid tory government in 2014 introduced the £200 threshold before the police will act to investigate a theft. On top of that, staff attempting to stop one of these shitheads is threatened with grievous bodily harm and one even lost an eye, according to this article. Utterly despicable. :mad:

Here's what the manager of a Co-op told the reporter:

Shoplifters are using wheelie bins to clear entire aisles of meat, sweets or booze, a senior executive for the Co-op has said.

Paul Gerrard, Co-op’s public affairs director, said the surge in shoplifting to record levels was not being driven by the cost of living crisis but by people stealing “huge volumes” of goods to order.

“If one of my colleagues gets in the way, there will be a violent threat. There might be a knife, there might be a syringe. I’ve had colleagues attacked with a medieval mace, we’ve had colleagues lose their eye, we’ve had colleagues miscarry.”

He said the company had been forced to move staff from their homes because they had been followed and threatened by the offenders.

@Astro What you live in America, so please tell us what you'd do if one of these shitheads were to try and raid your shop, if you had one... ;)

Astro What

If they use force during the commission of the theft, it becomes robbery where in Texas... which is automatically a felony.
If they cause injury or use any type of weapon to threaten during it, it is aggravated robbery. For the commission of aggravated robbery, one is entitled to use deadly force against the actor... and there have been many a shop holder here in Texas who has done so.

Personally... I'd have my shop set up with a small atrium entry with double doors... that were able to be automatically locked once someone entered them by remote. They would be made with steel frame and the "glass" would actually be a strong plexiglass that is impervious to impact and reinforced so that it cannot be kicked out. Let the fine little citizens enter it, then trigger it and hold for the police.
As for $200 limit... that's something that can be taken care of by the citizens voting in a new batch of folks in power.

Back
Top Bottom