Britons to be sent ‘danger to life’ text alerts in national security test on 23.04.2023

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Did you know that modern smartphones of both Apple and Android varieties have the ability to be sent emergency alerts by the government? They're not dialled in the usual way to show the alert, either, there's no tracking and no app required for this function.

People across the country will soon see “danger to life” alerts popping up on their phone screens as part of a UK-wide national security test.

Warning texts will be sent to millions of devices, setting off an alarm, as the government puts its new emergency system to the test.

The new measure has been established to warn the public of potentially life-threatening situations nearby, with the first round of tests set to focus on flooding and other extreme weather events.

Here's how they work, directly from the Cabinet Office. Riveting stuff...

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Mars

Staff Member
Did you know that modern smartphones of both Apple and Android varieties have the ability to be sent emergency alerts by the government? They're not dialled in the usual way to show the alert, either, there's no tracking and no app required for this function.

Here's how they work, directly from the Cabinet Office. Riveting stuff...

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Thanks, never knew that. Hope none of us Brits here, never ever receive one.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Update: the test will be on Sunday 23.04.2023.

I'm gonna completely nerd out to this one, lol.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
I think every year would be better. After all, it's not much of an inconvenience, is it?

I think it makes it even more important that with 60 million devices, there's bound to be technical problems, so best to find and fix them sooner rather than later.

The government's emergency alert should be tested every two years, a senior official has suggested.

A test alert was sent to every mobile phone in the UK, an estimated 60 million devices, on 23 April.

But MPs heard how five million users on the Three network did not receive the test alert.

Mars

Staff Member
I think every year would be better. After all, it's not much of an inconvenience, is it?

I think it makes it even more important that with 60 million devices, there's bound to be technical problems, so best to find and fix them sooner rather than later.

....tested every two years, how idiotic is that. There were already problems with the first alert in April, five million people never received it (including yours truly), so ok, no worries, we'll test it again in two years time🤔. Doh.
Instead of working out what went wrong, and maybe have another go soon? no, wait two years. Then if again it doesn't work properly, after the two years, we can always test it again🤥. In two years time.
Money; it's all down to money.

Back
Top Bottom