Castlevania: Symphony of the Night remake/demake for Megadrive

HEXdidnt

OK, now this is ambitious. I love this game on the Saturn, in spite of it being a quick port of the PlayStation version with even worse slowdown in some areas... but this could be mindblowing. Rather than being the full 'MetroidVania' experience, it's a more traditional linear, level-based affair with assets downgraded from the PlayStation and Saturn versions..
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Looks like a project to keep an eye on - subbed!

HEXdidnt

The latest update is looking fantastic: a new graphic artist - Pyron - has joined the team and improved the overall look of things, taking the Megadrive's limits into account. For the most part, it looks as though backgrounds have had a boost in colour saturation, to help make them a bit more defined.

The work this artist has done on the Mermen reminds me of the sort of thing I've been doing on The Lower Caverns - having started out with only one colour version of many of the sprites, I've squeezed one or two more out of the limited palette, to bring back some of the colour variety of the original ZX Spectrum version, even if I can't quite match the full spectrum of palette swaps of the GameBoy Advance version

More of Pyron's stunning work - both on this demake and a whole slew of Megadrive remasters - can be found on their Twitter and Instagram feeds.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom