Chas & Dave

Arantor

I've been working on some of my writing and I somehow ended up with a character who is from the thick of old London town, and I really wanted to nail that Cockney accent - it fits the character's social bearing and attitude to have the rougher end of the spectrum going on.

So I found myself listening to a few of the legendary Chas & Dave songs of yesteryear to get in the mood.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I did, quite a number of years ago, see them live in my hometown. Their songs are just... somehow joyous and lighthearted, even their not-so-happy songs, simple and honest and down to earth - I feel like we could do with more of that.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
Margate was pretty funny! I like their happy and fun songs. Reminds me of all of the favorite British shows my family has enjoyed over the years and even have a few of the series/sets.

Mr. Bean/Rowan Atkinson- hilarious as Mr. Bean and enjoyed Johnny English. I'll never forget the first time my husband and I saw Mr. Bean. We were changing channels and saw this light blue car with one wheel up front, and Mr. Bean was in a parking lot and turned on his high beams in preparation to chase it. We've been fans every since.
Are you Being Served- we still use some of their famous phrases in our house if the moment fits, like, "Men's Wear".
Faulty Towers- John Cleese had so much energy and was always in trouble.
Benny Hill- Just don't know what to say, he was just funny, period.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
@Arantor .......I've been trying to figure out who your avatar is? :) I thought it was Laurence Luckinbill, the actor that was Spock's half brother from Star Trek V The Final Frontier but I just looked and nope, I was wrong. :geek: Do you mind sharing who is your avatar? I know I should know it, it's so familiar, but just can't figure it out?

Arantor

Hugo Myatt, as Treguard, from the TV series Knightmare - was a huge fan as a kid. This is I think a promotional shot from one of the tie-in books, which would have been aligned with maybe series 5 or 6?

First episode:

Here Treguard is much more ambiguous as a character, it’s not clear whether he’s trying to help or hinder so much, but he solidly becomes “good” in later seasons especially after they introduce an actual antagonist in the form of Lord Evil.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
Thanks @Arantor for the video!! I would have never guessed that was Hugo Myatt. I couldn't help to recognize the Dungeon's and Dragon's influence in Knightmare too. I can see why you were a fan. It's rather captivating even now, because it has all of the suspense entangled within it. My daughter met her boyfriend playing Dungeon's and Dragon's where she used to meet up with other friends once a week at this local gaming place.:)

Arantor

Actually, Knightmare wasn't really inspired by D&D, it was actually inspired by a couple of games on the ZX Spectrum about exploring dungeons and the like (though I'll admit, there is possibly some D&D inspiration in *them*)

Back
Top Bottom