Dead Lithium Ion batteries

Geffers

Linux enthusiast
This may or may not be of some use to someone.

My laptop has not got an internal CMOS battery so is dependent on the main battery.

Recently, after a 6 week period of non use when I switched my laptop on the battery showed 0% and would not charge. I have heard that there needs to be some minimal power in the battery to send a signal to the charger, obviously at 0% there was no such signal.

I had also heard that if an exhausted battery is trickle charged then recovery is a possibility.

Now, a wee bit of luck occurred, I had a USB lead that had a selection of various connectors and as luck would have it one was a barrel connector same size as laptop. I connected the USB to my powerbank and left it on for a few hours. This did not work but I noticed the powerbank had lost some of its charge so guessed as something was happening I'd try for a longer period, after all, I was using a 5V charger for a 14.4V battery. Left it on for a good 20 hours and it worked, battery now working.

I read about this rescue method relating to power tool batteries so it may get someone out of trouble somewhere.

Geffers

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
That's a great tip, Geffers. If you don't mind, could you please share the make and model of the laptop to help others with the same, or similar models?

Geffers

Linux enthusiast
This may or may not be of some use to someone.

My laptop has not got an internal CMOS battery so is dependent on the main battery.

Recently, after a 6 week period of non use when I switched my laptop on the battery showed 0% and would not charge. I have heard that there needs to be some minimal power in the battery to send a signal to the charger, obviously at 0% there was no such signal.

I had also heard that if an exhausted battery is trickle charged then recovery is a possibility.

Now, a wee bit of luck occurred, I had a USB lead that had a selection of various connectors and as luck would have it one was a barrel connector same size as laptop. I connected the USB to my powerbank and left it on for a few hours. This did not work but I noticed the powerbank had lost some of its charge so guessed as something was happening I'd try for a longer period, after all, I was using a 5V charger for a 14.4V battery. Left it on for a good 20 hours and it worked, battery now working.

I read about this rescue method relating to power tool batteries so it may get someone out of trouble somewhere.

Geffers

Just for information my laptop as follows;

SATELLITE C55D-C PSCQEE-03C00TEN
CPU: AMD A8-7410 APU with AMD Radeon R5 Graphics (4) @ 2.200GHz
GPU: AMD ATI Radeon R4/R5 Graphics

Back
Top Bottom