Government Manipulation

Geffers

Linux enthusiast
During times of war Governments, with press assistance, will suppress bad news, battles lost, high casualty figures, soldiers captured or enemy gains. This is done so as not to alarm the proletariat and cause them to become demoralised.

Why then are there no such qualms when dealing with covid, bird flu or climate change, with just those three mentioned the objective appeared to be to frighten the life out of everyone to ensure compliance. The message here seems to be 'We're from the Government and are here to help'.

Guessing the difference really is with the former no real control over the public is required other than retaining their moral support whereas with the latter example they need people to follow orders.

An interesting comparison with arguments for and against both scenarios.

Geffers

live627

Why then are there no such qualms when dealing with covid, bird flu or climate change, with just those three mentioned the objective appeared to be to frighten the life out of everyone to ensure compliance. The message here seems to be 'We're from the Government and are here to help'.
This huge propaganda campaign is enabled by mass censorship of doctors and any others who are skeptical, look into data "do their own research", and resist/rebel against the narrative and is generally a thorn in the side of the establishment. So, in a way, the same overarching theme applies to both scenarios: censorship and control.

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. [...] Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two make four. If that is granted, all else follows.”
― George Orwell, 1984

...inb4 I get yelled at...

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
This is why I take on my news from many resources and do my research.

From Ronald Reagan:
  • The nine most terrifying words in the English language are “I’m from the government, and I’m here to help. – 1986

Dystopian movie 1984, very bleak view on how bad it could be.

Crims

Wethermon
When no one protested surveillance (in a organised and public way) in 2012 it was the most damning evidence that all politics are simply mass psychology. Waiting for the end of this particular fashion, as my kneejerk reaction, yeah I agree completely - I've referenced my view on kettling on here.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Indeed, controlling the public's thoughts and behaviour is something that all governments do one way or another. For totalitarian regimes like Russia or China it's much more overt, invasive and restrictive.

Back
Top Bottom