Heaters, Wattage and Thermostats

Geffers

Linux enthusiast
Something that has puzzled me is many residential electric heaters have multiple power levels and a thermostat. Now, assuming the thermostat is accurate (appreciate many are not) I would have thought best practice was maximum power, heat up quickly then thermostat turns it off.

I've got a cheap blow heater, warms up nicely but thermostat is hopeless, I have some working via a voice activated switch which is convenient.

I'm guessing the multiple power levels allow flexibility for small or large rooms but my view is even in a small room use high power and let the thermostat take care of it.

Of course there is the factor of high wattage devices heating up plus and wiring.

Geffers

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
Calibration in a thermostat means everything. We actually have issues with controlled room temperature comfort especially in our living room. With central heating and air, the location of the thermostat, test and balance and adequate duct design and location of the ducts can be a real issue too. I can't speak much for the actual wattage and the activity of the blower fan on/off sequences, but the simple part is this...is your room temperature comfortable?

This is a good topic to add @markransome to your discussion.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Now, assuming the thermostat is accurate (appreciate many are not) I would have thought best practice was maximum power, heat up quickly then thermostat turns it off.
Surprisingly, max power isn't always the best solution as it can lead to significant overshoot in temperature due to latency with stored heat in the heating system. It's not like turning off a water tap where the flow stops immediately.

On the other hand, using too little power will cause the heating to run for much longer at a time and perhaps keep coming back on all the time (especially if the place isn't well insulated) or perhaps never even reaching the required temperature and staying on all the time, hence there's a balance to be had. This is one reason to ensure that the heaters are bled to keep them working efficiently.

Crims

Wethermon
I hear thermostat complaints whenever it seems to be working fine ha

My issue is that with dependence on pure electricity is that in the future there'll be price fixing of electricity. After sending a letter to my MP about the gas and electric e-chokes recently installed everywhere (was fobbed off) I see that as a certainty.

My room hasn't got a working radiator, it's been so-so & the temps are generally manageable until winter if I don't make a bonfire. In fact, we installed double glazing so a room heater/portable heater and that does the job.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom