Horse with a plan - perhaps

Geffers

Linux enthusiast
We often wonder what goes through the mind on an animal, is everything pure instinct or is there in fact a plan?

This is a fascinating video of a horse that appears to have a plan.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Geffers

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
The horse was definitely acting with purpose. We've seen many species act with purpose, so I'm not surprised. What's perhaps a little more surprising is that the horse understood that the other one needed a drink. That was quite something.

@Mars @Tiffany you'll like this.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
Love the intentional behavior of Rudnick. I'm so glad he got the other horse to water. Watching animals and how they think is fascinating!

Mars

Thanks Geffers, oh I loved that video. The fact that the horse perceived that the older one needed a drink is yet another example of how little we understand animals and the way they observe/perceive their environment, including us....
It is known that beside Sight, animals also perceive their environment thru their super-developed sense of Smell, to a degree we cannot even fathom.
The body, ours or any other living thing for that matter, releases its own subtle odours in response to a physical or emotional stimulus; Could be the younger animal sensed it, who knows...wish we could ask him.

We are told that the younger horse was moving up in the herd's ranks. It is very relevant to note this fact.
This would entail observing his 'flock', making sure everyone is where they are supposed to be. Seeing that one old fellow standing off to the side is not on. So he decides to herd him back.
Could he also smell the thirst? Who knows. Wish we could ask him; just my wishful thinking.....

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
It is known that beside Sight, animals also perceive their environment thru their super-developed sense of Smell, to a degree we cannot even fathom.
The body, ours or any other living thing for that matter, releases its own subtle odours in response to a physical or emotional stimulus; Could be the younger animal sensed it, who knows...wish we could ask him.
I reckon it's this as the body will smell different depending on hydration level. It's still something that Rudnick recognized what it was and the importance of it, though.

Mars

Yes, I reckon dehydration would be detectable to the animal's nose. Whether they understand 'dehydration' as such, and its negative effects is debatable, but they certainly know something is amiss, that's for sure.
Whatever the ultimate reason is for the young horse's behaviour, we can never be 100% sure; but it is fascinating to see it happening, with such +ve outcome for the older horse. Lovely.

Back
Top Bottom