Hypochondria is a killer anxiety disorder

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
The anxiety disorder of hypochondria begets real, physical illnesses and can lead to an early death, so should be taken seriously.

...there’s a difference between the occasional appointment with Dr Google and long-term, serious anxiety over health. This persistent fear of an undiagnosed illness may lead to endless doctor’s visits, or the opposite: total avoidance of medical care. What if we’re not taking hypochondria itself seriously enough?

That’s the takeaway from a recent Swedish study that found that people with what is now called illness anxiety disorder may die earlier than others. It’s a disturbing finding that makes the disorder sound like a self-fulfilling prophecy. As one anxious observer put it: “It’s not enough just to have worries – now you have to worry about your worries.”

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
Anxiety is real. I'm always compassionate with people with those challenges. Thanks for sharing this article and bringing more awareness to hypochondria and the anxiety it causes.

Geffers

Linux enthusiast
Any condition of the mind can become debilitating, I recall after a major op in 2000 I was on morphine during recovery, I was having some very realistic hallucinations, can still remember over 20 years later how realistic they were. My wife insisted I came off the morphine and things returned to normal.

Geffers

Crims

Wethermon
I found that for me anxiety is societal. I've noticed that my anxiety has always - with no exception - been solely dependent on completely extranneous things with zero reference to anything. I could be sat at home for 3 years and in the final 2 months it's better arbitrarily. In a way those without stress relief are at the mercy of the environment.

Back
Top Bottom