Interesting pictures for this month: cars

TheURL

Here's one I took of the Millennium Bridge in 2021 - it was wobbly when it first opened to the public. In my view, tightening it up was a mistake; what a draw that would have been! Where would Pisa be if their tower was straight?

IMG_4726Luminar.jpg

live627

The legendary London Bridge that is referenced in nursery rhymes lives on in my home state of Arizona. In fact, it is about a three hour drive (almost 200 miles) from where I live.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Arizona is one of the most unique states in the US and it contains many notable tourist attractions from the Grand Canyon to the Tucson Airplane Boneyard. But did you know that Arizona is now also the home of the famous London Bridge? Yes, the legendary bridge that is immortalized through nursery rhymes, built in the mid-1800s and used to cross the River Thames in England’s capital over 5,400 miles away past the Continental United States and the Atlantic Ocean, now resides in the Mojave Desert at Lake Havasu. But how did the London Bridge end up in the American Southwest? The story behind this old bridge is one that is both strange and fascinating, and also one that involves many other factors such as the effect of automobiles on architecture, eccentric billionaires, ghost stories and even small towns that were built into cities from the ground up. So without further ado, let’s dive into the history of how London Bridge ended up in Arizona.
Definitely not the "original" London Bridge, but more likely the 4rd or 5th (or 6th or 7th if you're counting bridges that were rebuilt due to fire).

• [li]43AD as a semi-temporary pontoon bridge built during the Claudian conquest[/li]
    [li]50AD more permanent timber bridge built by the bloody Romans[/li]
    [li]880s-1010s timber bridge built by either Alfred the Great or Cnut[/li]
    [li]1066 timber bridge built by William I[/li]
    [li]1209 stone bridge built by Henry II[/li]
    [li]1831 stone and iron bridge (this is the one that sits reconstructed in Arizona now)[/li]
    [li]1967 monstrosity built that's currently in place[/li]
Also worth mentioning, while it's always been in the same general place, the bridge's location has shifted with each new construction. It now sits downstream ~150 feet from the likely location of the original bridge.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
@live627 I didn't know this about the bridge in Arizona. I'm looking forward to reading about it. I've been all through Arizona and especially seen the Grand Canyons. Beautiful state!

TheURL

The story goes that the buyer assumed London Bridge was Tower Bridge, but by the time he found out what he'd bought it was too late.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
A rather interesting timelapse shot of a spiral roadway leading to the Nanpu bridge in China.

Nanpu Bridge.jpg

This masterpiece in France dates from Roman times around 2000 years ago and is still going strong. Those people really knew how to build things. If only they could see it now, they'd feel so much pride.

Pont du Gard aqueduct.jpg

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
Wow!! What amazing engineering in those bridges!

For the record, I don't like driving on high crazy bridges. Yikes!! Scary!!

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
For the record, I don't like driving on high crazy bridges. Yikes!! Scary!!
I know what you mean.

A few miles from me, two major A roads join at an angle at a roundabout. One of the roads has a short, single lane, narrow and curving flyover allowing one to avoid that roundabout which can become very congested. On top of that, it has low barriers that can be seen right through to the ground, so it feels like you could just fall off the side. I made the mistake of using it once as I didn't realise how high it would look and got a serious fright, almost freezing on the spot as I don't have a head for heights - not a good move in a moving car on a twisting road sitting above a roundabout. Never again Tiffs, I can tell you! :ROFLMAO:

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
I know what you mean.

A few miles from me, two major A roads join at an angle at a roundabout. One of the roads has a short, single lane, narrow and curving flyover allowing one to avoid that roundabout which can become very congested. On top of that, it has low barriers that can be seen right through to the ground, so it feels like you could just fall off the side. I made the mistake of using it once as I didn't realise how high it would look and got a serious fright, almost freezing on the spot as I don't have a head for heights - not a good move in a moving car on a twisting road sitting above a roundabout. Never again Tiffs, I can tell you! :ROFLMAO:
OMG!! :eek: I literally reacted to your bridge experience story by feeling like I was up high on that bridge too! That is really scary. There is a bridge/overpass very similar to that in Dallas, at least I think it is by your story. When I approach it, I pause my radio, no sound, clutch the steering wheel with both hands and focus totally until I'm off of that overpass. I don't think I even breathe. The most dangerous part is you have another overpass merging into your space and you have a total blind spot, so you can't see the approaching vehicle until the merge happens. Totally freaks me out. I try to avoid this area as much as possible by taking alternative routs. OMG!!

TheURL

Click the link above the photo - it's a transport bridge. The carriage travels across the river at land level, suspended from the gantry.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Ah yeah, just came a cropper with one of the theme bugs so I didn't realise it's a link. Something I'm working on fixing.

I'll check it out.

TheURL

OK how about (a) animals (though potentially not nerdy enough?), or (b) cars (definitely sufficiently nerdy?)...

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Right, in what is likely to be the last bridge pic of the month, here's a dramatic picture of the Sydney Harbour Bridge with a rainbow over it.

So, what are we going to have for next month, animals or cars? Not long to find out now...

Sydney Harbour Bridge.jpg

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Right, this month's subject is cars and here are the first pictures of cars. They can be any type of car and any type of car picture.

Cars from the movie Cars, a very good CGI animated film.

Cars.jpg

Here's a Bugatti Veyron in white gold. Not sure where the gold part comes in, but that's what this colour is called, apparently.

Bugatti Veyron – White Gold.jpg

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
My fav sports car!
1685823603490.png

Then there's the everyday car I'd like to have. :ROFLMAO:
1685823656130.png

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Wow tiffs, that sports car looks amazing. Do you know the make and model?

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
Wow tiffs, that sports car looks amazing. Do you know the make and model?

Top pic is a Lamborghini, not sure which one, but while looking at Lambo news found this article (below). They are going EV on the Lambo.....OMG! Glad I was sitting down for that news! :eek:

1685826742795.png

Back
Top Bottom