Interesting pictures for this month: cars

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
At the suggestion of local troublemaker @TheURL, the focus of this thread has now shifted a bit. I've changed the thread title and description here to reflect this.

Post interesting pictures that you find around the web, or have taken yourself that you'd like to share. They have to match the monthly topic, so because I started the thread in its original form with a picture of a bridge, this month it's gonna be about bridges. A video of the subject can be posted instead, or as well as a photo if you like. You can post several photos and / or videos in one post if you like and no limit on the number of posts in the thread, either.

If you can find a Wikipedia, or other entry about the subject picture, then feel free to add it underneath, as I've done below.

The subject will change on the first of every month and suggestions are welcome, so the next change will be 1st June (June 1st in American).

Note: you can post a picture of something else, eg some cute cat adorably doing something they shouldn't, but you must have the subject picture too and it must be first. You can also link to general articles about the subject, eg compilation pictures.

Enjoy. :cool:

Original post, now out of date, kept for reference. And the picture. ;)

Share interesting pictures here that you find around the web, or take yourself. If there's info on the picture such as a Wikipedia entry, then perhaps post that too.

I'll kick it off with this road bridge in Scotland, part of the scenic NC500 route. I like bridges in general and this is a fine example of one.

NC500 road bridge.jpg

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
Great thread!​

Royal Gorge Bridge — Cañon City, Colorado (picture from the below link).

AdobeStock_138144209-scaled-1.jpg

Bridges scare me. Here's a link to the 25 scariest bridges in the world.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Oh wow - a single span with a precipitous drop! Awesome find, Tiffs. :cool::cool:

I'd be scared shirtless going over that, too. One for the bucket list lol.

TheURL

I think the brief is a bit too wide (there must be a billion interesting photos) but this bridge (that I photographed in the Amazon jungle, eastern Ecuador) is NOT too wide!

IMG_1259L.jpg

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
Seeing that bridge reminds me of the old west and how trains were constructed to boldly go across gorges like that....and of course in any old western movie, the trains sometimes don't make it. :eek:

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
@TheURL ...amazing bridge and ingenuity of using resources to make it. It rather has a calming effect. At least it looks like the walking bridge isn't 100's of yards above the river? 🫣

TheURL

Yeah there is a river there, just about visible - but it's only about 10 feet down. We did try to cross it but it didn't feel safe and looked to be abandoned.

TheURL

You could have Bridges for May, Cars for June, Animals for July, etc - might run for longer that way...

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Do you mean separate threads then? You can create one if you like?

TheURL

No - I mean you have one single thread - but you change the subject each month - keep the generic title as it is, but just announce on the first of each month what you're inviting photos of this month.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
So, you mean change the first post every month for a different picture subject? Note that the thread title would have to change as well, or people would genuinely miss it. I'd also have to make a post in the thread to help ensure people realise it.

TheURL

There wouldn't be any "subject change announcements" to miss - people would just follow suit. But yes you would need to post the first one whenever you wanted to change the subject - just as you posted the first one here.

TheURL

Much as I hate the grotesquely over-used word "iconic", I think it's fair to use it in connection with Tower Bridge. Here is a photo of it that I took in Oct 2021. It's not an easy shot to get without falling in the water (there's a lock entrance just behind where I was standing). In the past there was water in the pond, but sadly not the day I was there. But it's a superb bridge, both inside and out.

IMG_6512L.jpg

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
It's kind of a double bridge too, as the top crossbeams are actually a pedestrian walkway. Not sure if they're open to the public though.

Shame you didn't fall in the water. I'd have paid good money to see that! :p

TheURL

The western crossbeam is open to the public if you buy a ticket - I have been across it; the views are very good - it also has a glass floor section - if you look closely in the photo you can just about see it.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
The Ruyi vertigo inducing footbridge in China. See more about it in the article below and 26 other amazing bridges.

Ruyi Bridge.jpg

TheURL

I still think my shot of London's Tower Bridge was more imaginative than the one in this article. But undoubtedly there are some great designs in there.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
My favourite bridge in that collection is the roundular Laguna Garzon Bridge in Uruguay. I mean, just look at it, it's a frigging circle! In other shots, from the side, you can see that it's not especially high off the water, either.

Note how it's not actually a roundabout though as it's not possible to drive all the way round it. According to the article, this shape was created to slow down traffic to keep pedestrians safe, but that makes no sense, because a good solid barrier will do that just fine.

From this angle, it actually reminds me of an artistic impression of a black hole with the accretion disc around it.

Most known for its unusual shape, this circular bridge was designed to slow down traffic, allowing pedestrians to cross the bridge more safely. Connecting Rocha Department and Maldonado Department in Uruguay, the Laguna Garzon Bridge was designed by Rafael Viñoly.

Laguna Garzon Bridge Uruguay.jpg

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
@TheURL thinking about it, you just have to put this bridge on your travels bucket list and bring back some fantastic photos and videos of it!

Back
Top Bottom