Manchester United - what is happening?

Geffers

Linux enthusiast
Manchester United 2023.

Since Sir Alex Ferguson left United they have had a number of managers, every single one started off quite well then went sour, except Ralf Rangnick who started badly and continued in that vein. They've had some quality managers but so far, all have failed to create a team.

It is saying something when Cristiano Ronaldo's only club failure was his second spell at United.

Appreciate money can't guarantee success but of late the money United are spending seems to be buying failure.

Geffers

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
I think the Glazers are at the bottom of this situation. Lack of investment in the club, low moral and who knows what else are at the bottom of this, because United sure aren't short of talent, expensive talent. They just have to work cohesively together. Current injuries really aren't helping, either.

I remember around a year before Ferguson retired, that there were dark clouds forming about United's performance, so it looks like he got out just in time. Obviously, he'd know more about this situation than Joe Public, so I wouldn't be surprised if this is what prompted him to retire in 2013 on a high, the last time United won the Champion's League, before it all went bad.

Ten Hag seems a really good fit, with a good, no nonsense attitude to discipline, so I think it would be a big mistake if they fired him over this. Having said that, I don't think they should have let De Gea go as he was such a great goalie. Yeah, he had some gaffs recently, but he still won the Golden Glove last season and had the most clean sheets, so why they were so willing to let him go by forcing a big pay cut is beyond me. So far, Onana is looking like a downgrade, although still decent.

I wanted to see how he'd do at another club now he's gone, but as he's still without one, it looks like he might just retire instead according to what he said recently, which would be a shame.

@aussiefooty I know you do Australian football, but you might still have an opinion on this. :)

Geffers

Linux enthusiast
Glazers could be the issue, although money has been made available attitude filters down from the top. No easy answers but looks like 2023/24 season flopped already.

Geffers

Geffers

Linux enthusiast
Lose at home to Crystal palace now lose at home to Galatasary. I think once upon a time Accrington Stanley were a decent side.

Geffers

Back
Top Bottom