NHS ‘soup and shake’ diet puts almost a third of type 2 diabetes cases in remission

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
This sounds like a great idea for those with type 2 diabetes. The NHS can't roll it out fast enough.

Tens of thousands more people in England living with type 2 diabetes could be offered an 800-calorie-a-day “soup and shake” diet after research found almost one in three on the groundbreaking NHS scheme permanently wiped out their disease.

Patients are given low-calorie meal replacement products such as soups, milkshakes and snack bars for three months, triggering rapid weight loss, before getting support to reintroduce normal food into their diet.

Currently, 10,000 people a year can access the scheme but “brilliant” results showing “life-changing benefits” among participants have prompted NHS leaders to consider expanding the programme.

Some who took up the diet lost as much as 17.4kg (38lbs). Almost a third put their type 2 diabetes in remission, according to a paper published in the Lancet Diabetes and Endocrinology journal.

Crims

Wethermon
Nobody has commented on this, though it's a minor miracle that soup is apparently the cure-all. Homeopathy has such a bad rep, and that's what it is essentially.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Homeopathy has such a bad rep, and that's what it is essentially.
You're not serious? Homeopathy has no science to back it up and is therefore a con. This has solid science to back it up, hence they're widening the trial.

Crims

Wethermon
Homopathy is a perfectly respectable science that has nothing wrong with it /s - though seriously soups are very comparable in many respects.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Homopathy is a perfectly respectable science that has nothing wrong with it /s
I was working up a right proper indignance - until I saw that /s at the end! :ROFLMAO:

What I'd like to know about extreme diets like this is, how do they stop cravings and at 800 calories per day, those cravings are going to be extreme and unresistable. This is the one critical factor that's never explained. You know, one can't just sit there and resist that craving day after day "cuz they know it's good for them". Yeah, right. I know when I get them they must be answered and now! I just hope that I have something at least moderately healthy to hand when they hit, because I'm gonna eat anything at that point.

Crims

Wethermon
Whenever the circumstances are the people get to choose particular diets, there's always someone that takes it to an extreme. I'm irrespective, even if it sounds contrarian - I like to binge sometimes, and sometimes I like to be picky with what I have - it's basically reacting to the weather for me. So tbh as much as they meme the vegan teacher, I'm not against those extremists - even if they're incredibly strict and outspoken.
If we had Queen Liz this wouldn't be news

Last edited:

live627

Fighting cravings is always a losing battle. Always. Sheer willpower only delays the inevitable—your body will eventually win.

Back
Top Bottom