Product beholden to company

Geffers

Linux enthusiast
So many products nowadays are dependent on the company continuing to offer services.

The popularity of video doorbells is an issue, two of the most popular are Blink and Ring, both owned by Amazon. Problem is, any communication is via Amazon servers. Bit too much of a delay to be that useful but the attached video link discusses Amazon withdrawing services or charging for previously free services.

Effectively you don't actually own the device, they own you, can switch it off at any time.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Geffers

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
but the attached video link discusses Amazon withdrawing services or charging for previously free services.
That's the trouble with all those cloud services and why they love to offer their products in that way so that they retain control over their paying customers.

Crims

Wethermon
Tech services I've seen barely last more than 5 years alone, and that's if they do. I bought a Google Hub and that's app has changed names.

Last time I went to Portugal I thought how great it'd be to have tech that would work in other countries with not much wifi, though I remembered that point immediately after.

Last edited:

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
The scam discussed in the video is just like what I'm experiencing in Call of Duty.

It's always had something like 10 multiplayer game modes that were always available. However, they now offer only a subset at any one time, rotating them on what appears to be a weekly basis, for what reason isn't explained.

So far, my favourite mode, Gun Game, remains unavailable in this year's CoD version and last year's. Infuriating and really puts me off playing it. I'll probably not buy the next version now due to this sharp practise.

Crims

Wethermon
CoD does that all the time. I noticed it in MW2 and from that point I basically only bought one CoD game since (might've bought CoD WW2 though). It's mostly because the maps are the same, boring. The maps themselves have 3 tunnels and then so there's not much besides the modes themselves.
Should product developers who are good be given freedom to do other stuff? ... the idea that the dev actually can do their life's role.

Last edited:

Crims

Wethermon
Overwatch 2 has that too. Kiriko, is earned through unlocks.
I've played Overwatch 2 for months, and they have an unlock path that gives you jack shit. I like Moira, Kiriko and the Junker girl, but the game itself is not fun enough for the path. I mean, I've had a lot of fun moments proving my skills as the sniper girl, though I don't get much feedback from people during a match.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom