Seven staycation scams to watch out for this weekend and how to avoid them

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Read this article and remain alert.

More than 20 million car journeys are set to take place this weekend in what could be the busiest August bank holiday in a decade.

It will be an equally busy weekend for scammers. Holiday scams are usually associated with overseas trips, but people travelling within the UK should be aware of the latest fraudulent schemes in car parks, restaurants and on motorway hard shoulders.

Take a few minutes to familiarise yourself with the most common staycation scams before setting off for the weekend.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
Those are all clever, but scary scams. The car park QR codes is particularly scary as it looks legit. As for people approaching me at a service station for money, I really don't like that either, that's a really vulnerable position to be in.

Crims

Wethermon
I'm glad I'm being rewarded for being a technophobe 8)
Though if I were honest it's quite reasonable to be cautious when travelling the country. Car thefts are also on the rise, tbh.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
@Crims I get your technophobia ;)

Car thefts are very common here in the states and there are certain cars that are always on the hit list. It's also amazing how fast car thieves can break in to a car and steal, like 30 seconds or so.

Back
Top Bottom