Stan LePard - Velkommen (Windows welcome music)

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
If this superb mellow electronic tune sounds familiar, it's because it played as part of the "out of box experience" immediately after a Windows XP install at first boot, assuming the sound drivers were installed. It was only ever played once too, so many people never heard this tune at all.

It was actually created by Stan LePard back in 1996, separately from Windows, but Microsoft made the great decision to include it in Windows XP. It's therefore become the biggest worldwide hit that no one's ever heard of and never made the singles charts. Now that's some irony.

Unfortunately, for some reason, Microsoft only included a heavily compressed, lossy, mono version even though the computers of 2001 were perfectly capable of playing stereo CD quality uncompressed WAV files and there was plenty of space on the installation CD, so one didn't hear it at its best. However, I've now discovered the original, CD quality, uncompressed stereo version - and it's glorious! :cool: I hope you love it as much as I do.

Here's the full quality SoundCloud version where you can download the original uncompressed stereo full CD quality by clicking the down arrow in the SoundCloud window below. Note the full title of the track given there:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Stan created lots of other music too, which you can listen to on SoundCloud.

Unfortunately, Stan LePard died in 2021:

Here's a shorter, remixed version from Stan made in 2020 that sounds a bit different and just as great. This can be downloaded for free, too.

Here's a superb remix by Kaya. It maintains the core sound of the original whilst sounding significantly different. This one's good enough for repeat play too, a fantastic homage to the original and it's even the same playing length too.

Here's a third party odd sounding, super slow version:

Here's where the tune can be found in a Windows XP installation, just click on the file to play it. Note that the later 64-bit Windows XP version released in 2005 unfortunately omitted it.

C:\Windows\system32\oobe\images\title.wma

Finally, here's a nod to the YouTube video where I discovered this top quality version the other day. It's exactly the same as the SoundCloud version but doesn't sound quite as good due to YouTube's lossy compression and can't be downloaded. See the video description for details.

Mars

Staff Member
Lovely tunes, relaxing and dreamy. Never heard them before, nice find, Retro.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
@Mars Listening to the original and the remixes, I think this track has a touch of the melancholy about it. Waddya think? I'm still playing it and the remixes over and over, love it. Gonna wear out the server if I'm not careful. :p

@Crims @Geffers @Tiffany @TheURL Do you like this tune?

TheURL

It's certainly pleasant - and oddly familiar; I keep expecting some vocals to come in, which I can hear in my head but are too distant to identify. I wonder if it was later plagiarised? That said, there are only so many 4-chord sequences. But yes, I like it.

Mars

Staff Member
@Mars Listening to the original and the remixes, I think this track has a touch of the melancholy about it. Waddya think? I'm still playing it and the remixes over and over, love it. Gonna wear out the server if I'm not careful. :p

@Crims @Geffers @Tiffany @TheURL Do you like this tune?

Really lovely tune. All 4 versions have a slightly different vibe each; me? the original will do me just fine; dreamy.
A touch of the melancholy for sure, like a quiet stream flowing thru a shady glade, unseen.

Mars

Staff Member
It's certainly pleasant - and oddly familiar; I keep expecting some vocals to come in, which I can hear in my head but are too distant to identify. I wonder if it was later plagiarised? That said, there are only so many 4-chord sequences. But yes, I like it.
Yeah, I like it too.

Back
Top Bottom