Survey: Drivers say headlight glare is getting worse

Is nightime dazzle from car headlight glare becoming worse for you?

• No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Not sure / Other (explain)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
I've noticed that it seems to be getting worse, even if the beam isn't misaligned. I have to put the rearview mirror into dark mode quite frequently nowadays and when it's from the front it does indeed force me to look away and slow down as it may obliterate my view of the road. It's a real hazard and very uncomfortable. I thought that the brightness and beam shape of car headlights was regulated, so how is this problem getting worse?

Please vote in the poll.

More than four out of five (85%) drivers affected by headlight glare say the problem is getting worse, a survey suggests.

The RAC, which commissioned the poll, called on the Government to fund an independent study into the issue.

It believes headlights appear brighter on modern cars because their use of LED rather than traditional halogen bulbs creates a more intense and focused beam, which improves a driver’s view but can be to the detriment of other road users.

Other potential factors include badly aligned headlights and the increase in the number of cars that sit higher on the road, such as SUVs.

The survey of 2,000 UK drivers suggested 89% think some car headlights are too bright.

Two-thirds (67%) of those affected by headlight glare say being dazzled forces them to slow down considerably until they can see clearly again, while 64% believe some headlights are so bright they risk causing accidents.

live627

Even as a passenger in the back of a mini van with the darkest window tint legally allowed, this is painfully obvious. Bad LEDs on the opposite side of the road stick out like a sore thumb from older style halogen bulbs because

• they blue
  • they flicker/shimmer
  • they blue
  • they have big glowing halos
  • they blue
I think LED headlight would be much better if their color temperature was reduced to 3500K, on par with halogens. Might even get rid of that annoying glow.

Back
Top Bottom