The rot at the heart of Firefox maker, Mozilla

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Mozilla, the company that makes and maintains the Firefox web browser, bills itself as a privacy oriented non-profit and is always asking for financial donations to help with the cause.

Not so fast.

Turns out that they get millions of dollars every year from, of all companies, Google, and their CEO has been raking in an ever increasing wage in the millions while Firefox's marketshare continues to drop significantly, they're laying off staff and reducing the wages of the remaining staff.

Something isn't right here and whatever you do, don't donate any money to them.

Feel free to use Firefox as it's still a very good browser that I personally prefer over Chrome, but just be aware that the company behind it are not the angels that they make themselves out to be.

Watch the video for the disturbing facts about what's happening over there.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

live627

Firefox has an objecftive advantage over Chrome in that it allows me onto Youtube with an ad blocker.

I have been using Firefox as my main since version 2. It was a joy to develop web scripts for compared to IE 6. Nowadays Chrome has monopoly status instead of IE.

I believe that Google supports Mozilla only to try to keep Chrome out of anti-trust.

Geffers

Linux enthusiast
YouTube ads are becoming an issue, many are now 30+ seconds and often during videos too. Appreciate somehow the services that Google offer do have to be financed, yes there are privacy issues but everything is swings and roundabouts and a balance has to be arrived at. Unfortunately, with big corporations profit is the motivator and once they've hooked you then difficult to escape.

Google, Facebook and Twitter have given us some great services but also they have created issues.

Geffers

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
YouTube ads are becoming an issue, many are now 30+ seconds and often during videos too.
That's horrendous, especially 30 seconds of unskippable ads.

I reluctantly caved some time ago and now subscribe to get rid of them as I so hate them, especially with how jarring they are with how the video suddenly switches to them. The current level is £11.99 and I watch a lot of YouTube so it's worth it, but I'll bet you that YT eventually hike the price and I don't mean by the price of inflation say, but more like a tenner or more. This is no idle speculation either, since the streaming TV companies like Netflix have done just this in the last couple of years.

live627

It was lower when they rolled it out. I think YT Red (now premium) was $5.99.

Back
Top Bottom