The top five scams to watch out for right now

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
These are the current top 5 scams and they're detailed in the article below, along with mitigations.

Regarding those mitigations, it's actually even easier than they say to avoid falling into the trap by simply not responding to anything unsolicited and avoiding all those dodgy ads on Facebook and the like. It's so bloody obvious and easy to avoid these that if there weren't so many gullible fools out there, fraud wouldn't be running at £17 billion at the moment, even without effective protection by the law, an absolutely staggering amount of money. That's enough money to run a large corporation, or parts of the country.

1. The “Hi Mum” Scam
  2. Loan Fee Fraud
  3. Online Marketplace Scams
  4. Pig Butchering (awful name, but nothing to do with butchering pigs thankfully)
  5. Social Media Account Hacking

I recommend watching the Scam Interceptors series on iPlayer where all 20 season 2 episodes are available now.

Here's a story of my encounter with a scammer that you'll like.

I got yet another O2 scam call the other day, the latest of about 10-15 of these annoying calls over the last few months. This time, instead of just hanging up as soon as I heard what the call was about, I thought I'd instead wind up the shithead that was trying to screw me over - and I got him good.

He started by asking how I was and then offering me a discount on my current O2 contract. I don't have an O2 contract.

I replied that I don't have a contract with O2 and would he still like to offer me a discount on it. The dumb shit said he would! I then carefully repeated that I don't have such a contract so how can he offer me a discount on it and still he insisted that he wanted to offer me a discount on it! Total facepalm, seriously.

Then in my most derogatory voice, I repeatedly told him I knew he was trying to scam me, but he kept on denying it. I then started insulting him in the most demeaning way, swearing and saying various unmentionables, being as un-PC as possible, making sure to cross various red lines (use your imagination). After about 30 seconds of this, he started getting irate and began throwing insults back at me, at which point I threw one or two more insults and just hung up. Him or his cronies didn't ring back, but I'm sure I'll hear from them again in the not too distant future, sigh.

So satisfying to ruin Shithead's day. :ROFLMAO:

Suggestions for even more creative paybacks are welcome. :)

The thing I've noticed from previous encounters with scammers of all kinds and also from watching YouTube videos of scambusters in action, is that it doesn't matter how much you call them out for what they're doing, they'll steadfastly deny it to the last. Just unbelievable; I'd like them to admit it, just once. I don't know what they think they have to gain by denying it when they've been so solidly rumbled.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Oh no, it was definitely human... or what passes for human with people like these.

Mars

Staff Member
Scam Interceptors is good, I watch it as well. Some people are caught due to stupidity and greed, I don't feel sorry for them. Some just do not engage their brains, like in the " Hi mum" scam; I mean, you get a text from your son? see the number the text came from? call it! No the fools don't.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
Scary ways to scam people. Maybe the scammer quit after his experience with you since you fixed his little red wagon.🤭 *That's an old idiom saying in the US that means a form of punishment.

Mars

Staff Member
Scary ways to scam people. Maybe the scammer quit after his experience with you since you fixed his little red wagon.🤭 *That's an old idiom saying in the US that means a form of punishment.
"fix his little red wagon", I like that idiom:)

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
Me too..:D.... the southerners of the US, use this phrase still a lot....we are always fixin' someone's little red wagon ....lol :ROFLMAO:

Geffers

Linux enthusiast
These are the current top 5 scams and they're detailed in the article below, along with mitigations.

Regarding those mitigations, it's actually even easier than they say to avoid falling into the trap by simply not responding to anything unsolicited and avoiding all those dodgy ads on Facebook and the like. It's so bloody obvious and easy to avoid these that if there weren't so many gullible fools out there, fraud wouldn't be running at £17 billion at the moment, even without effective protection by the law, an absolutely staggering amount of money. That's enough money to run a large corporation, or parts of the country.

1. The “Hi Mum” Scam
  2. Loan Fee Fraud
  4. Pig Butchering (awful name, but nothing to do with butchering pigs thankfully)

I recommend watching the Scam Interceptors series on iPlayer where all 20 season 2 episodes are available now.

I got yet another O2 scam call the other day, the latest of about 10-15 of these annoying calls over the last few months. This time, instead of just hanging up as soon as I heard what the call was about, I thought I'd instead wind up the shithead that was trying to screw me over - and I got him good.

He started by asking how I was and then offering me a discount on my current O2 contract. I don't have an O2 contract.

I replied that I don't have a contract with O2 and would he still like to offer me a discount on it. The dumb shit said he would! I then carefully repeated that I don't have such a contract so how can he offer me a discount on it and still he insisted that he wanted to offer me a discount on it! Total facepalm, seriously.

Then in my most derogatory voice, I repeatedly told him I knew he was trying to scam me, but he kept on denying it. I then started insulting him in the most demeaning way, swearing and saying various unmentionables, being as un-PC as possible, making sure to cross various red lines (use your imagination). After about 30 seconds of this, he started getting irate and began throwing insults back at me, at which point I threw one or two more insults and just hung up. Him or his cronies didn't ring back, but I'm sure I'll hear from them again in the not too distant future, sigh.

The thing I've noticed from previous encounters with scammers of all kinds and also from watching YouTube videos of scambusters in action, is that it doesn't matter how much you call them out for what they're doing, they'll steadfastly deny it to the last. Just unbelievable; I'd like them to admit it, just once. I don't know what they think they have to gain by denying it when they've been so solidly rumbled.

1. The “Hi Mum” Scam
  2. Loan Fee Fraud

If I am not busy I sometimes play around a wee bit with them.

The classic one is that they are aware my computer has been infected with a virus and the nice person wants to help me remove it, so kind.

The request one does certain things on my computer, I follow along but of course my results will be subtly different as I run Linux. Takes them a bit of time to realise I don't run windows.

Geffers

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
I was right about hearing from these scammers in the near future, sigh.

Today, a Sunday, at just after 8am in the morning, a "recruiter" called me attempting to hook me with whatever BS he had to "offer". I've got things to do this morning, so I didn't even let him finish a sentence, called him out as a scammer and hung up. Alas I didn't cross any red lines with this one. Apologies, but I did say the f-word a couple of times though.

So, what recruiter cold calls early on a bloody Sunday?! Huge red flag right there.

Back
Top Bottom