Trumpism = Christian Nationalism

petermarkley

As a Christian, I am an iconoclast who is deeply critical of Christian Nationalism in all of its forms—especially including the MAGA movement. It is a form of sinful idolatry in the American Christian church.

When Christians get too comfortable and take their eye off of Christ, they end up in hypocrisy and bigotry. They are doing the opposite of everything Christ taught, which was to:
  • Love those who hate or disagree with us, and those who are different from us.
  • Stand up for the rights of minorities and victims.
  • Obey our governing authorities (regardless of whether they are Christian or pagan).
  • Have inner peace even when injustice is committed against us (whether real or perceived).
  • etc.
The reason Americans have a hard time on this is because they got too comfy with something I have heard called “Volksgeist.” It’s basically the set of ethnic, national, or cultural affiliations and traditions that form our sense of communal identity, or our “spirit of the people.” Trees and presents at Christmas. Fireworks on July 4th. Being white and going to church. Guns, and freedom, and footballs that you carry in hand, and rhotic Rs but soft Ts. The whole sloppy, ineffable, demographically fluid package. (But definitely no burqas or foreign languages or medical face masks or microtonal music, nooooo waaaayyy.)

There’s a book called The Case for Christian Nationalism that tries to defend it. It starts out with a good premise that Volksgeist is a good thing, drawing an anology to having a mother. “We naturally love our country like we love our own mothers.” Very true, and nothing wrong with that—except when we do it at someone else’s expense. Or when it motivates us to commit or excuse literally any type of wrongdoing.

Any good thing is ugly if we don’t share, or if we try to take it from others. We teach this to preschoolers, yet the adults in my country are now en masse regressing back to needing this lesson. American right-wing politics for the last 8+ years have been one giant, country-sized toddler tantrum over a slight perceived loss of cultural stability or power—hence the slogan “Make America Great Again.”

They’re not really talking about actual greatness, otherwise they would heed the words of Patrick Henry:
The war which finally separated the two countries and gave independence to ours … Whether this will prove a blessing or a curse, will depend upon the use our people make of the blessings which a gracious God hath bestowed on us. If they are wise, they will be great and happy. If they are of a contrary character, they will be miserable. Righteousness alone can exalt them as a nation. Reader! whoever thou art, remember this; and in thy sphere practise virtue thyself, and encourage it in others.
No, instead by “greatness” they actually mean their Volksgeist. And they explicitly do not care about anyone else’s. It leads into all manner of racism and horrible things.

It’s obviously tragic for the Volksgeist of minorities who get targeted by nationalism. But in a way, it’s also tragic for anyone like me who somewhere deep down cares about the Volksgeist they’re defending.

It feels like having a loved one pass, and instead of having a funeral your family ties the body in an upright position and establishes a passionate delusion that they are not only still alive, but that they’re a king and everyone else must bow to them. The grief and loss is interrupted and eclipsed by abject horror and disgust. It’s like a double loss: the first is losing the loved one, and the second is being unjustly robbed of the chance to properly grieve the first loss.

There’s a lot more that can be said on this, but that’s a good start 🙂

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Congratulations Peter, out of all the 1600+ threads on this site, you're the first to start one on religion! :) I was wondering when it was finally gonna happen.

Now, reading your post, I'm not sure if it's more politics or religion, so could you please clarify? If religion, then I'll create a religion section and pop it in there.

btw, I'm an atheist, I get on with Christians very well and have been friends with a Christian for 40 years now. It's all about tolerance on both sides. :cool: How time flies.

petermarkley

Now, reading your post, I'm not sure if it's more politics or religion, so could you please clarify?
Hmm, good question. I guess this sits at the juncture of both, but personally I think I’m approaching the topic as more political.

The whole issue is how people are carelessly munging together politics and religion in their own minds and votes and policies and rhetoric—hence the name of the phenomenon being Christian (👈 religion) Nationalism (👈 politics).

I guess if I wrote a thread complaining about preachers spouting Christian Nationalism from pulpits, maybe that would be the “religion” side of the topic. I dunno … 🤔

At the very least, I think there are people of all religious or non-religious persuasions who can perhaps relate to what I’m saying here, due to the impact it’s having on public policy. That was kind of my focus here.

Crims

Wethermon
I think I know what you're getting at. Multiple times in my life I've witnessed the hypocritical aspect to Christian ethos in the UK, and the reason why atheists such as Dawkins call themselves cultural christians. At least there's definitely a link between certain individuals and the great Christian morality of the US and the UK and until it's actually a constant, everyday issue people will most likely keep skimming over it anyway. There's no clear specific contrarian viewpoint, apart from eastern philosophy, which presents alternative christian ethos and applies to much more "westerners" than before.

Last edited:

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
atheists such as Dawkins call themselves cultural christians.
I thought "no way!" when I read this, but a quick Google confirmed it.

See this LBC interview from 5 months ago. He says it near the start and is careful to explain the difference between this and being a believer.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
I guess if I wrote a thread complaining about preachers spouting Christian Nationalism from pulpits, maybe that would be the “religion” side of the topic. I dunno … 🤔
Oh yeah, preachers spout an awful lot of BS, especially to milk money from their faithful, and you're welcome to start such a thread if you like. :)

Back
Top Bottom