Unusual Hacking

Geffers

Linux enthusiast
We have to guard against becoming paranoid but seems this business woman was not careless in any way but got hacked and lost all of her YouTube videos.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Geffers

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Damn, this is an unsettling story, especially since the victim wasn't duped into anything like usually happens with things like this, but at least it ended well.

The core problem seems to be logging into that insecure wifi connection at the airport which allowed the session cookies and cc details to be sniffed. I do wonder why they didn't use a VPN in the first place which would have prevented this attack.

Crims

Wethermon
Honestly the idea that everyone uses VPN is silly, the iniitial sentence hits the nail on the head - at some point it's ridiculous to worry about hacking. It's universally inevitable eventually. Hackers are crafty buggers, keeping your things in a structured way is the only reliable technique.

Last edited:

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
No, getting hacked is not inevitable. A VPN absolutely should be used on public unsecured WiFi. I'd bet money this wouldn't have happened if they'd done that.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Good question, I think it depends on the VPN design, not sure.

Note that the attack would have to be done at the point of login to the VPN as after that it would be shut out.

Back
Top Bottom