When crime pays: robbing a bank

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
The perp totally got away with it and was never brought to justice for over 50 years. On the other hand, he didn't hurt anyone and the loss would have been covered by insurance. However, he did leave behind a wake of frustrated police officers and investigators who could have been doing better things with their time. This was not a victimless crime.

Modern technology like CCTV and the massive spread of advanced computers etc would prevent this crime in the manner that it was committed back in the 1960s.

Given the high level of crime all over the world, I'll bet this story is more typical than you'd think and unfortunately people do get hurt and killed all the time because of it.

Thomas Randele was dying of lung cancer and had a secret.

In March of 2021, with his daughter at his bedside in suburban Boston after his first chemotherapy session, he made a stunning confession: He was a fugitive, and had been one for more than five decades. More than 50 years earlier, when he was 20 years old, he’d robbed an Ohio bank of $215,000. And his real name was not Thomas Randele but Theodore Conrad.

Geffers

Linux enthusiast
An odd scenario, obviously the family had unknowingly benefited from the stolen money, when someone dies the estate is responsible for outstanding debts, nothing was said in that article so guess there's been no requirement to pay back.

Geffers

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
That's a good question. Statute of limitations, perhaps?

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
I think a lot of people that did bad things when they were younger, tend to have a reality moment when they are facing their demise and tend to confess, I agree, it must be very common. When my dad's second wife died, before her death, she "summoned" me to the house and gave me her best possible apology for being the "fill in the blank" that she was to me. That hour of my life, I will not forget. This woman had power over me for a long time, and now, all of a sudden was apologizing to me for her behavior. She passed away a week later.

Geffers

Linux enthusiast
I think a lot of people that did bad things when they were younger, tend to have a reality moment when they are facing their demise and tend to confess, I agree, it must be very common. When my dad's second wife died, before her death, she "summoned" me to the house and gave me her best possible apology for being the "fill in the blank" that she was to me. That hour of my life, I will not forget. This woman had power over me for a long time, and now, all of a sudden was apologizing to me for her behavior. She passed away a week later.
Why can they not do the apology bit whilst fit and healthy? Maybe it is a 'meet my maker' moment if they do have any religious thoughts.

Geffers

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
Why can they not do the apology bit whilst fit and healthy? Maybe it is a 'meet my maker' moment if they do have any religious thoughts.

Geffers

Exactly, why do they wait until the end, when that whole span of many years were filled with anger, resentment or disgust, but could have been rather replaced with a mended relationship for those years instead? On religion, people do tend to come back to it when their life is in chaos, or when their time is nigh. The point about a religious faith is to always have that contentment in your life, to be a caring person, and use your faith throughout your life and not when it's convenient. Some people seem to miss that, I suppose?

Back
Top Bottom