Why do some people still avoid the number 13?

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Good question if you ask me as this is superstition which should have no place in the modern world. The irony is that in maths it's actually a lucky number and also a prime, see the articles below. Fun fact: the fear of this number is called triskaidekaphobia. That's hard enough to pronounce while sober, let alone drunk! :ROFLMAO:

Missing 13.jpg
Oh dear, someone forgot to paint 13 on the side of this tower

Despite being nothing more than superstition, the continuing belief in 13's malign influence is so baked into our culture that even a down-to-earth profession like building is affected by it.

Eagle-eyed commuters stepping off the train in Cardiff have noticed that a construction site in the centre of the capital has a glaring omission.

One of the inner supporting towers being built for the Central Quay development on the old Brain's brewery site has numbers displayed on every floor of the unfinished building - except the 13th.

This is more common than you might think in the 21st Century. Some buildings, including apartment blocks and hotels, skip 13 entirely.

The 13th floor may be named 12A, or used to house infrastructure the building needs rather than apartments or offices.

666 is the other one that some people get funny about, isn't it?

Lots more fun facts about lucky number 13:

Crims

Wethermon
Free speculation, it is odd how often 13 appears in history. Most of my family are incredibly superstitious - it makes me hesitate by sheer osmosis. 13, pancake day, and sometimes even Nandos (we sometimes get Nandos), bad logic all around.

Last edited:

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
I'm less likely to be bothered by the number 13, as I would 666. 🫣

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
I'm still clueless lol. 🀣
K, I'll give it a shot and see if this is what was meant:

The albatross is a bird known for "long flights" and sometimes can be in flight for several years without making contact with land. This bird gets it's food from the sea which is why it doesn't need land.....so cleverly written by live627 was the implied thought of an albatross in a long flight labeled Flight #13 playing on this thread topic.:D

Did I get that right, @live627?:unsure::)

Back
Top Bottom