Why TV shows are being cancelled faster than ever before

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Yes, of course it's about the money, but here's a detailed explanation of the general conditions surrounding this.

Losing your favourite new show right in the thick of the action is surely the worst nightmare for every TV fan – and it’s increasingly becoming a reality. Earlier this week, another one bit the dust, when it was confirmed that Star Wars’ show The Acolyte would not be returning for a second season, denying viewers a resolution to its cliffhanger ending.

This reminds me of a series that I abandoned just the other day, Reginald the Vampire. I'd seen season one and it was more or less ok, just about good enough for me to start watching season two which had recently come out on Sky.

I was 1.5 episodes in and not feeling all that invested in it when I looked up it up on IMDB. I noticed that it was cancelled, so Googled it and saw that it ends on a cliffhanger ending, so thought sod that and stopped watching it right there and then. I hate cliffhangers, especially unresolved ones like this, so I wasn't gonna push myself to watch ten episodes of this series just to feel really pissed off at the end.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
I really haven't been paying attention to new shows that are cancelled after one season or so. That would be super frustrating to get into a series and never have a resolution at all. Our family has opted to watching older series the past few years, except for my dd and I have been watching the Witcher. We know that after season 3, Geralt (Henry Cavill) will be replaced by Liam Hemsworth. It won't be the same lol.

Crims

Wethermon
I'm always keeping an ear out for what may be good, even though I'm a soso fan of TV and the average Netflix programme is kind of worth watching. The Witcher is a good show, though IMHO a good example of why most shows don't last long. Seen Jack Ryan & Jack Reacher. (edited)

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
Do share, if you find something on Netflix that passes the Crims test. We are always looking for something new that passes our standards too. The Witcher IS really good, omg. We also enjoy the Reacher movies.

Crims

Wethermon
Do share, if you find something on Netflix that passes the Crims test. We are always looking for something new that passes our standards too. The Witcher IS really good, omg. We also enjoy the Reacher movies.
I see a lot of the most popular shows, and my brother tends to follow the mainstream, so I usually watch The Critical Drinker on youtube. Mostly conservative views though his recommendations are often in that sweet spot where movies are mostly opting for the best quality product and that's a good time save.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
I see a lot of the most popular shows, and my brother tends to follow the mainstream, so I usually watch The Critical Drinker on youtube. Mostly conservative views though his recommendations are often in that sweet spot where movies are mostly opting for the best quality product and that's a good time save.
That's our standard too, quality entertainment without all of the extra points on a checklist that the latest movies seem to have. I've always said, a really good comedian doesn't have to swear, because the content is so good. I'm not opposed to bad language, however as long as it fits the moment and isn't vulgar.

The Witcher is a bit of an exception to my rule, as it has a lot of the stuff in it for a broad audience (that's Netflix), but honestly, the script, landscape, clothing and talent is so good, it's not needed. The however part, is how Netflix handles the next seasons which will determine if I stay with it.

On the flip-side, on wholesome TV viewing, my dh and I actually got stuck watching the Shawn the Sheep movie last weekend, lol. It's so darn cute, well produced and the animation is awesome, captivating in a refreshing way lol.

Back
Top Bottom