Winning AI artist gives human artists inferiority complex

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
A new way of doing art using artificial intelligence is giving traditional artists an inferiority complex, lol.

Jason M. Allen was almost too nervous to enter his first art competition. Now, his award-winning image is sparking controversy about whether art can be generated by a computer, and what, exactly, it means to be an artist.

In August, Allen, a game designer who lives in Pueblo West, Colorado, won first place in the emerging artist division’s “digital arts/digitally-manipulated photography” category at the Colorado State Fair Fine Arts Competition. His winning image, titled “Théâtre D’opéra Spatial” (French for “Space Opera Theater”), was made with Midjourney — an artificial intelligence system that can produce detailed images when fed written prompts. A $300 prize accompanied his win.

“I’m fascinated by this imagery. I love it. And it think everyone should see it,” Allen, 39, told CNN Business in an interview on Friday.

AI painting.jpg

Crims

Wethermon
I'm a bit skeptical of a career as someone who wanted to do concept artwork for games. I'd like to brainstorm a way (more than the ones I have) to design with this.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
Art created by a human is through tools, conceptual thought and planning, manipulating the textures, painstakingly hand drawing the lines (meant for both oil painting, sketch and graphic) and bringing the idea all together. If you use AI, then the AI is the artist to me, not the human. All the human may be doing is giving the instructions to the AI and the AI takes over? Unless, I'm not getting it, but that's how I'm interpreting it?

The art is amazing though. Maybe there should be two categories; human art and AI art and then the traditional artists would be placated?

Back
Top Bottom