40 years later: council house help to buy scheme has been an utter disaster

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
I remember when Thatcher introduced this right to buy scheme for council houses back in the 1980s. Seemed like a good idea for getting people out of perpetual renting as property ownership is generally seen as a good thing that I agree with, but I had reservations about it since the tories weren't building new council houses to replace them. What happens to the disadvantaged low income people who come afterwards with an ever dwindling stock of council houses?

40 years later I was proved right. It's not just those disadvantaged low income people in the rental market who are suffering now, but regular middle income tax payers too, who have to now prop up a broken system. Another slow clap for the tories, who are once again mired in scandal with Johnson's ridiculous partygate, brexit and lots of other corruption too numerous to mention.

Check out this article which has all the facts and analysis to prove the point and please vote in the poll. Note that votes are public.

Philistine

You're right, Mike, they basically wanted to create loads of Tories by making more home owners. The problem is that it has helped fuel ever rising house prices, so if you (or your family) are not on the ladder you stand no chance.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Yes, funny how it's only benefitted the rich, isn't it? It's almost like they don't care about us little people...

Back
Top Bottom