A calorie is a calorie! - biggest health lie debunked by Dr Robert Lustig

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
The food industry loves to peddle the myth that a calorie is a calorie, no matter where it comes from and it's all about that energy balance, ie calories in v calories out. This puts the onus for those struggling to control their weight squarely on them, rather than the food industry which creates really tasty, but harmful food that you'll crave and helps to insulate them against lawsuits. That's starting to change, apparently.

Here, Robert Lustig busts this myth wide open and explains how it's what your body does with those calories that matter, not so much how many you take in. Hence, the kind of food that you eat is critically important for maintaining weight and general health.

Note that Lustig is the hero, in my opinion, who brought us the information of exactly why sugar is bad for us and just how bad it is and is trying to raise awareness of this. The tldr version is that all sugar is bad for us and in all amounts, especially the refined garbage that we find in all the processed sweet things that we all like to eat like chocolate, cakes, biscuits, soft drinks and a million other sweet things, therefore try to minimise its consumption as much as possible. The only exception to this are the natural sugars found in things like pears, apples, oranges etc, when consumed by eating those fruits, not an extracted version from them, since the fibre helps to neutralise it and the insulin spike caused by it, by slowing its release into the body. One still shouldn't go overboard with it though, so don't go eating 10 oranges in one go, for example. Note that artificial sweeteners aren't a get out of jail card here as they harm you in different ways.

I'll see if I can find those Lustig videos on sugar. They were a series of three one hour-ish lectures that explained all this in great detail and are well worth watching if you can take the time.

Finally, Lustig does a whole series of great videos on how to stay healthy by eating the right things, so check them out, too.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
I agree with Robert Lustig. We are either fat burners or carb burners and we are all designed a bit differently how we manage calories, fats and sugars. You can actually find out which way you usually burn calories through fat or carbs by taking a VO2 Max test, although it's possible to do your own test at home.

live627

The only interview of this Lustig guy that I've seen is the one that spawned the clip shown in the OP, so the deleted conversation/arguement was actually helpful to me. Thank you @Mars .

Back
Top Bottom