Adam Savage tries to figure out "perpetual motion" machine

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
This fascinating impossible "perpetual motion" machine was designed waaay back in the 1980s and can run for months before slowing down. It's then "serviced" in secret, where it suddenly starts spinning more quickly again.

Its inventor David Jones (aka Daedalus), has keep its true operation a secret ever since. He's now sadly passed away in fact, so will of course, never reveal it. However, the big reveal is in a letter he wrote that's not being shown to anyone, keeping the mystery going and if someone figures it out, the university will neither confirm nor deny it, so we'll never truly know.

Personally, I find this annoying. I get that it's great to create a puzzle to get everyone thinking and talking about it, but never revealing it just creates an eternal cliffhanger which is frustrating. I think the answer should have been revealed by now. What do you think?

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Crims

Wethermon
This fascinating impossible "perpetual motion" machine was designed waaay back in the 1980s and can run for months before slowing down. It's then "serviced" in secret, where it suddenly starts spinning more quickly again.
I can't watch the video, It's likely similar to a bike. If designing a motion machine I'd, have the mystery of how bikes work. I'd minimised the friction through gears and spinning tyres, though the motion requires extra space for extra gears to make sure the bike works properly.

Last edited:

Crims

Wethermon
Do you mean there's a technical issue, or it's inconvenient to watch it now? Works ok for me.

It's certainly well worth a watch if you can.
Technical issue, probably on my end. Later though

Back
Top Bottom