An animation explaining Special Relativity

PhysicsGuy

A great cartoon explaining with mathematics the amazing and stupendous principles of Albert Einstein's theory of Special Relativity

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Mars

Staff Member
A great cartoon explaining with mathematics the amazing and stupendous principles of Albert Einstein's theory of Special Relativity

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Good effort to explain that theory, definitely takes couple of views (or more.....).
Sound track good as well.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Ok I've seen some of that video and I don't think it's quite right. I'll properly look at it later and then note the issues here.

and why is that bloody music so depressing?

Mars

Staff Member
Ok I've seen some of that video and I don't think it's quite right. I'll properly look at it later and then note the issues here.

I don't actually think it is depressing, it's more like....the music of Infinity. Dreamy.
Regarding the White Hole? this is a mathematical theory put forward by astrophysicists.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
I don't actually think it is depressing, it's more like....the music of Infinity. Dreamy.
Regarding the White Hole? this is a mathematical theory put forward by astrophysicists.
Well, the music is a matter of taste rather than right or wrong.

I've not seen the video as far as the white hole, but I do know a fair bit about them. They're basically time-reversed black holes. And you don't want to be anywhere near one...

Mars

Staff Member
I've not seen the video as far as the white hole, but I do know a fair bit about them. They're basically time-reversed black holes. And you don't want to be anywhere near one...
Quite, you certainly do not want to be anywhere near one, stay clear of that friendly neighborhood.
......unless you wish your atoms to be part of a brand new Big Bang?

PhysicsGuy

I would say the music is a bit sad. I think to two characters are destined never to meet. That makes it seem a little sad to me.

PhysicsGuy

Yes. There is at least one. You certainly do not shrink just because you are moving fast. It is only that you appear shrunk to other observers. As they do to you.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Yes. There is at least one. You certainly do not shrink just because you are moving fast. It is only that you appear shrunk to other observers. As they do to you.
Yup, that's one of them. The one I can remember off the top of my head right now is where they had three ships with the middle one shooting a laser at both ships. They said that the rear ship would be moving closer to the middle ship. Like how? What if it "collides" with it, how would it look then? That was totally wrong. Perhaps they're trying to say about the viewer compression effect where to the viewer on the planet the ships look a lot shorter and hence the distances between them would as well.

I still haven't seen the whole video yet, but I hear that there's a section there on white holes which should be interesting. I know something about these too, that they're time-reversed black holes and other things, like constantly ejecting matter and that the event horizon prevents anything from getting inside. They'd be really weird objects if they exist and likely unstable, too.

PhysicsGuy

I haven't even got started yet. Tonnes more to follow. I imagine you folkes might have already seen them. I want to start with the basics, and progress towards quantum computing, I.e. the actual quantum mechanical process and how, exactly, it yields massive speed ups. Hopefully precisely how it works.

Mars

Staff Member
I would say the music is a bit sad. I think to two characters are destined never to meet. That makes it seem a little sad to me.
Yes, it is a sad, but a very lovely, little tune.
Just the fact itself, that all this vastness of space, all those myriad of stars , will all eventually dim and die.....
Thankfully however, for us here on earth, they are Eternal. We can gaze at their beauty and marvel at their power forever.

Back
Top Bottom