Are self-driving cars a good or bad idea?

Nebulous

Are self-driving cars a good or bad idea?

Would you own one?

Would you trust it not to crash?

Arantor

I‘m really on the fence.

On the one hand, I am only too aware that people make mistakes and that there are way too many factors involved in driving. It’s one reason I don’t drive myself: it always seems like 10% avoiding your own mistakes and 90% avoiding everyone else’s. With that in mind, autonomous vehicles that make fewer mistakes are a win.

However, I am not yet convinced that our tech level is there yet. Tesla’s autopilot isn’t really meant to be used for 100% autonomous driving though people *do*...

Crims

Wethermon
A self driving car needs actual safety unlike Teslas. I'm not particularly against electric cars, but the recent China crash confirmed my suspicions: A lot of electric cars go to 200 mph and then crash, and Tesla has been blaming the drivers.

I also think that safety would include a killswitch, which is politically a not acceptable solution for many reasons.
What is likely to happen is the capability will be developed by Google and be introduced in the US first.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Now there's a question. I think it's a real grey area with lots of unanswered questions.

To answer it, I'm going to assume that all new cars sold are capable of full autonomy and all cars on the road are now autonomous which we don't have at the moment.

I likely wouldn't get one, because they're naturally suited to being used as taxis, so none of the high costs of ownership apply. If I was very rich, then I would own one though as the experience is much better.

To keep this short, I'll list some pros and cons off the top of my head.

Pros
  • Safety would be much better than what we have today as computers don't do the daft / stupid / malicious things that people do and true AI will solve the edge cases we have nowadays. Even now, safety is much better than a human driver and that's with mixed human / AI cars, too. It will improve massively when it's AI only. The trolley problem issue will be weighted towards survival of the occupants, not the schmuck being run over or no-one would get in them. And that's as it should be
  • Make great taxis obviating the need for car ownership. It will be Uber without the driver
  • Great for getting around when sick, very tired, drunk, or otherwise unable to drive

Cons
  • Heavy surveillance of a user's every movement, with consequent control of where they can or can't go. This is Big Brother writ large and it's coming
  • Just like a regular taxi, you can lose stuff in them by forgetting stuff on the seat
  • Likely will be very expensive to own and use, including taxi services, relegating most people to the misery of public transport

There are more, but that's all I can think of at late o'clock and should be enough to be getting on with.

wolfdeer

I personally don't like the idea of self-driving cars. I mean, it sounds cool, but it's not exactly safe. My dad told me what he had heard about self-driving cars a few months ago. One guy was in a wreck because his car ran into a semi, I believe it was. For some reason the car didn't sense the presence of the truck, so it just kept going! That incident has forever ruined the idea of self-driving cars for me, although I'm sure manufacturers will find a way to fix that.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
@wolfdeer That's one of those edge cases that confuses current "AI", as it's a cheap imitation of the real thing. That wouldn't get confused like this. Hopefully...

@Arantor Perhaps we build enough of it that it builds the rest itself? Wishful thinking, I know. It's also the kind of capability that could give rise to Skynet and terminators...

Arantor

And the engineers who can't write software that doesn't crash, are now the ones code reviewing Twitter, as though they were competent enough in a completely different set of disciplines to do so...

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
And the engineers who can't write software that doesn't crash, are now the ones code reviewing Twitter, as though they were competent enough in a completely different set of disciplines to do so...
Just laughing at this....maybe I shouldn't be, but it's been one of those days personally for me, and I read some maybe humor, and needed it!

Nebulous

@Nebulous how do you feel about these cars? :)
I wouldn't trust enough to fall asleep or not watch the road while driving. I'd let it do its self driving thing but I'd be there ready to slam on the breaks or swerve out of the way if a situation is about to go down.

The car I have now has a pretty advanced cruise control feature. It has radar and can sense cars in front of me so when I have it turned on all I have to do is steer the car. It'll do all the breaking and accelerating on its own. I am always watching though. I don't trust it completely.

Arantor

In other words, you'd be using Tesla Autopilot exactly the way Tesla tells you to do so...

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
I wouldn't trust enough to fall asleep or not watch the road while driving. I'd let it do its self driving thing but I'd be there ready to slam on the breaks or swerve out of the way if a situation is about to go down.

The car I have now has a pretty advanced cruise control feature. It has radar and can sense cars in front of me so when I have it turned on all I have to do is steer the car. It'll do all the breaking and accelerating on its own. I am always watching though. I don't trust it completely.
I think the time when we can trust them "completely" will be when there are no more human-driven cars on the road anymore and the AI is sufficiently advanced not to do stupid thngs. The accident and death rates at that point should plummet and traffic flow much improved. Gonna be a while and it will also be a shame, as driving is nice to do (ignoring the obstacles that the government puts in front of drivers, rush hour traffic etc, of course).

Back
Top Bottom