Art at school?

Addryn

In general, I liked this subject at school. I can’t say that I was very impressed, but it helps a lot to unload the brain and help it learn to think in a creative sense. As for me, this is the main value of art at school.

Mars

Staff Member
In general, I liked this subject at school. I can’t say that I was very impressed, but it helps a lot to unload the brain and help it learn to think in a creative sense. As for me, this is the main value of art at school.
I actually agree with you, that even if you are not artistically inclined, it does train your brain to think creatively.
In fact, for those who are not too crazy about painting, drawing, coloring, specially for them, just the fact that you have to do something outside your sphere of interest, is a valuable mental discipline.

Learning about colours, and how colours are accentuated or fade into the background, depending on how they are grouped on the canvas, is by itself a fascinating lesson in optics, and in how our brain perceives colour.

Is it obvious I liked art? :giggle:

CyberGeek

I agree with you @Mars, however I think all students should have a choice 😎

I don’t really like the gender stereotypes where girls are more into art than boys... and all that. I think there should be a choice.

Crims

Wethermon
I agree with you @Mars, however I think all students should have a choice 😎

I don’t really like the gender stereotypes where girls are more into art than boys... and all that. I think there should be a choice.
I can see that. Girls are the most common student at universities for design. I'd be in disagreement with the idea however, I've had mainly male students in my art class for starters.
I'm not a big art studier but I can find reasons to enjoy.

Last edited:

CyberGeek

I’ve had mainly male students in my art class
Surprising :eek:

I can see that. Girls are the most common student at universities for design.
Very true. I feel like there’s more social awkwardness around girls studying computer science rather than boys for example. Being a nerd girl is unfortunately not quite so mainstream and I experienced feeling like an outcast at an all girls school 😔

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
Art like music is creative expression. I believe exploring these areas often times open new outlets for people that didn't normally consider them. Offering art in school has value up to a certain age in my opinion. After a certain age and especially in college people should be working on classes more related to their degree, rather than elective fluff.

Mars

Staff Member
Very true. I feel like there’s more social awkwardness around girls studying computer science rather than boys for example. Being a nerd girl is unfortunately not quite so mainstream and I experienced feeling like an outcast at an all girls school 😔
Schools are meant to encourage their pupils to develop their talents. I would have thought that especially at an all girl school, they would encourage each girl to express her natural talent and inclination. It seems you had a negative experience there.

Did they have both art and computer classes in your school?

Mars

Staff Member
Art like music is creative expression. I believe exploring these areas often times open new outlets for people that didn't normally consider them. Offering art in school has value up to a certain age in my opinion. After a certain age and especially in college people should be working on classes more related to their degree, rather than elective fluff.
I agree about the 'elective fluff'.
Yes, certain aspects of art education may be valuable for pupils regardless of heir gender, but as you say, only up to a certain age.

CyberGeek

Schools are meant to encourage their pupils to develop their talents. I would have thought that especially at an all girl school, they would encourage each girl to express her natural talent and inclination. It seems you had a negative experience there.

Did they have both art and computer classes in your school?
Yeah they did, I’m just saying that computer science was never advocated for as much as foreign languages, medicine and law.

I was the odd one out at sixth form, the only one in my year group to pursue computer science. When I mentioned it as my career interest all my classmates asked me why I want to study computer science with that weird-confused look. I feel like it’s just not seen as a career for girls.

My chemistry teacher also warned me of all the competition I’d face when I mentioned I want to be a software developer. Instead of encouraging and supporting my career ambitions. Whereas if I was a guy it would be seen as normal.

I mean what’s not competitive? In fact law is way more competitive than software development to break into. There are SO MANY software jobs out there on the market - opportunities within various industries.

Yeah I just never fit in with the girls really. Hard to make close friends when your personality and interests are just so different!

Mars

Staff Member
Yeah they did, I’m just saying that computer science was never advocated for as much as foreign languages, medicine and law.

I was the odd one out at sixth form, the only one in my year group to pursue computer science. When I mentioned it as my career interest all my classmates asked me why I want to study computer science with that weird-confused look. I feel like it’s just not seen as a career for girls.

My chemistry teacher also warned me of all the competition I’d face when I mentioned I want to be a software developer. Instead of encouraging and supporting my career ambitions. Whereas if I was a guy it would be seen as normal.

I mean what’s not competitive? In fact law is way more competitive than software development to break into. There are SO MANY software jobs out there on the market - opportunities within various industries.

Yeah I just never fit in with the girls really. Hard to make close friends when your personality and interests are just so different!
People can give advice and warnings, but ultimately it is up to us what we want to do with our life.

CyberGeek

People can give advice and warnings, but ultimately it is up to us what we want to do with our life.
Yeah sure, and I went ahead despite that. My point being those ambitious about law were encouraged whilst I was discouraged.

I have strong views about gender stereotypes. I bet you that’s what triggers gender dysphoria is so many, even if the impact is subconscious.

Nebulous

I think it should be mandatory for very young kids at least. Gets those creative juices flowing!

High school not so much, its fine being an elective class.

Back
Top Bottom