BBC News style guide

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
I knew that the BBC had a news style guide, but I didn't know it was available to the general public. Put this on your nerdlist for bed time reading. You'll fall asleep in no time. :p

Audiences expect the BBC to demonstrate the highest standards of English because well-written stories are easier to understand. This is the current style guide for all BBC News output. Although it is only a guide for journalists, it details many of the rules of spelling, punctuation and grammar. It also covers accuracy, fairness and impartiality. The Oxford English Dictionary is otherwise the preferred reference.

Nerd level: yeah, quite.

Mars

Staff Member
I knew that the BBC had a news style guide, but I didn't know it was available to the general public. Put this on your nerdlist for bed time reading. You'll fall asleep in no time. :p

Nerd level: yeah, quite.

Quite right, highly recommended as a substitute for sleeping pills!

Arantor

Shame the impartiality rules aren’t consistently followed. They’re impartial when it comes to reporting on the Opposition because that’s in the public internet but surprisingly quiet on the shadiness of the government…

Mars

Staff Member
I totally agree about their being quiet on the shadiness of this government; and when they do report, they always couch it in less definite and direct terms, so it is never quite clear what they are actually saying, what is the actual state of affairs, you always get the feeling there is something behind it that they are not saying.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
You're not imagining it. This glorious government installed one of their stooges right at the very top a while back which will be the reason.

You want to read The Guardian and other independent newspapers too.

Arantor

I’d also add Private Eye to that list. If this issue is to be believed, the real reason the Carrie Johnson story was mysteriously dropped from the Times is now out there and Private Eye just published something the Times didn’t dare publish. Needless to say the BBC won’t report it either…

Mars

Staff Member
I’d also add Private Eye to that list. If this issue is to be believed, the real reason the Carrie Johnson story was mysteriously dropped from the Times is now out there and Private Eye just published something the Times didn’t dare publish. Needless to say the BBC won’t report it either…
I am soooooo disgusted with this government

Back
Top Bottom