Britain sleepwalking into American style hospitality tipping

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
I've never been particularly keen on leaving tips, but leave around 10% at restaurants as I feel obliged to, unless the service was especially bad. Apparently, the expectation now is to leave a 12.5% tip, which I think is too high, especially given the cost of the meal nowadays.

I never leave tips for the courier on Uber Eats or other delivery apps for example. Item prices are already significantly more expensive and there's normally a significant delivery charge on top of that, too. I mean, seriously, a burger with a side and a drink can now cost around £20 in total, which is very high. So no, I pay enough that I shouldn't be topping up their wages and the app's profits.

This article concentrates on "enforced" tipping at pubs, but the culture is spreading to other types of venue, too.

Pub-goers in Britain are now being asked to pay American-style service charges for drinks ordered at the bar.

A string of bars and pubs in Scotland, owned by The Scotsman Group, have started to levy an automatic 2pc service charge on drinks.

It means a £5 pint of beer will come with an automatic 10p tip.

Crims

Wethermon
Definitely bait article designed for most kneejerk response. I agree that the amount of tips is getting ridiculous, which is the point. Though, if we get into it it may be way it's presented though this doesn't correspond to anyone's attitude here in London, except the servers. All pubs want to extract as much tip as possible these days, that's assumed.

Back
Top Bottom