Cancer drug trial obliterates one type of cancer!

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
This is superb news. I've had several friends die of cancer, so I'm particular attuned to anything that helps to beat this horrble disease.

Just check out this article:

It was a small trial, just 18 rectal cancer patients, every one of whom took the same drug.

But the results were astonishing. The cancer vanished in every single patient, undetectable by physical exam; endoscopy; positron emission tomography, or PET scans; or MRI scans.

Dr. Luis A. Diaz Jr. of Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, an author of a paper published Sunday in the New England Journal of Medicine describing the results, which were sponsored by drug company GlaxoSmithKline, said he knew of no other study in which a treatment completely obliterated a cancer in every patient.

Mars

Staff Member
This is superb news. I've had several friends die of cancer, so I'm particular attuned to anything that helps to beat this horrble disease.

Just check out this article:

Marvelous news; although confined to one kind of cancer only, it is still a ray of light. We need some good news for a change. Also, some cancers which were a death sentence years ago, are now treatable, and some are completely curable, and that is good to know.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
Excellent news for so many. I've known too many people with cancer including immediate family, myself. Great find on this study, @Retro. I'm really glad you shared this because not only is cancer too common, so are cancer's invading our digestive systems. If only Farrah Fawcett (RIP) had a chance for this treatment.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Yes, quite. I do think of all those who died before treatment was available. It's such a waste of life.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
Agreed. I appreciated their drive to do the study correctly and their perseverance.

Diaz began asking companies that made checkpoint inhibitors if they would sponsor a small trial. They turned him down, saying the trial was too risky. He and Cercek wanted to give the drug to patients who could be cured with standard treatments. What the researchers were proposing might end up allowing the cancers to grow beyond the point at which they could be cured.

“It is very hard to alter the standard of care,” Diaz said. “The whole standard-of-care machinery wants to do the surgery.”

Finally, a small biotechnology firm, Tesaro, agreed to sponsor the study. Tesaro was bought by GlaxoSmithKline, and Diaz said he had to remind the larger company that they were doing the study — company executives had all but forgotten about the small trial.

Back
Top Bottom