China - Successful or not?

Geffers

Linux enthusiast
We are often told that there are no historical examples of a success made of Communism. I think most people associate Communism with USSR (Soviet Russia) but of course that collapsed over 30 years ago and it seems society is advancing in Russia now.

China is another, however, vast country though it is and I am sure there are areas of deprivation some of the videos I am seeing the technology is amazing so my question is; can Communism be successful and what is it actually? It is usually associated with the State owning everything and running every aspect of one's life. Religion tends to be banned but guess worshipping the rulers (as appears apparent in North Korea) is another form of religion.

Appreciate this is just one location but not how I imagined a Communist country.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Geffers

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
As nice as it looks in that video, nothing is worth being oppressed by an authoritarian regime like over there.

Astro What

There are areas in N. Korea that look nice and progressive.... then you go into the country and see reality.

Astro What

This is how China is, too. serpentza has some good videos on this topic.
Yes, they have showcase zones that visitors are encouraged to visit... and then kept out of the areas that reflect reality. Can't have anything going against the party line.

Geffers

Linux enthusiast
Certain areas in UK that the tourist industry wouldn't promote either.

Astro What

Certain areas in UK that the tourist industry wouldn't promote either.
That exists in ANY society. But it is FAR larger in Communist based countries like Russia, China and N. Korea and in many totalitarian regimes that are not necessarily Communist based. But it is more noticeable amongst the Communist based ones because the remote areas don't support the "benefits" being touted by the Party.

Geffers

Linux enthusiast
That exists in ANY society. But it is FAR larger in Communist based countries like Russia, China and N. Korea and in many totalitarian regimes that are not necessarily Communist based. But it is more noticeable amongst the Communist based ones because the remote areas don't support the "benefits" being touted by the Party.
Russia and China are vast countries so guess lack of services will be more common. I know there are many rural areas in UK and US that struggle with mobile signals and certainly internet, many have lost their local amenities, village shops, pubs etc. Fact of life in a commercial world, services will only be supplied where a profit can be realised. Hence people gravitate towards the towns and cities.

When I first visited San Diego County back in 2015 I couldn't believe how 'behind the times' they appeared, certain buses and trains stopped ridiculously early in late afternoon (marginally better now), supermarket deliveries were not the norm. Was told it was more up to date in LA and SF but San Diego County was is exactly out in the sticks.

Astro What

I know there are many rural areas in UK and US that struggle with mobile signals and certainly internet,
In my travels I have come across very few areas that had no mobile service. Dead spots yes, but not "no service". Generally those were very mountainous regions and some were around military facilities.
Almost the entire continental US has access to internet service. There are a few small areas that do not (but are coming online) but by and large the majority does.. Now, is that affordable internet? Not necessarily. But honestly, it's no more expensive than my cable service that I get at the house to get Starlink.
Hence people gravitate towards the towns and cities.
Hence communism is supposed to support the entire population, not centralized locations.
I couldn't believe how 'behind the times' they appeared, certain buses and trains stopped
You would be surprised by how many areas are not served by public transportation. You either walk, ride a bike or have a vehicle. In the US, that is pretty much (and has been since the country was founded) a fact of life due to the distances involved in travel. I have found that it surprised many from the UK when they came here visiting or to take up residence.
As for grocery delivery... in the big city that was not a "thang" for many years, whereas it still was in smaller communities. Our "home town owned" pharmacy, until the owner passed) still did free home delivery of prescriptions, a service he offered even back 45 years ago.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
You would be surprised by how many areas are not served by public transportation. You either walk, ride a bike or have a vehicle.
That's pretty much the same here in many rural areas of the UK: you're stuffed without a car or can't drive it for some reason.

Geffers

Linux enthusiast
In my travels I have come across very few areas that had no mobile service. Dead spots yes, but not "no service". Generally those were very mountainous regions and some were around military facilities.
In UK there are quite a few rural areas where mobile signal is very poor but overall not bad. I live in NW London, well covered by amenities but has to change mobile supplier due to very unreliable signal strength inside my residence. Fortunately my phone is dual sim so able to use whichever gives me best signal. WiFi calling helps but previous phone didn't have that function.

Our Mobile and internet services definitely cheaper than available in San Diego County.
You would be surprised by how many areas are not served by public transportation. You either walk, ride a bike or have a vehicle. In the US, that is pretty much (and has been since the country was founded) a fact of life due to the distances involved in travel. I have found that it surprised many from the UK when they came here visiting or to take up residence.
Where I visit in San Diego County is quite a big town, Oceanside. One bus service I wanted to use stopped around 5:30pm which was quite surprising.

As for grocery delivery... in the big city that was not a "thang" for many years, whereas it still was in smaller communities. Our "home town owned" pharmacy, until the owner passed) still did free home delivery of prescriptions, a service he offered even back 45 years ago.
Yes, same in UK but few years back driving through many rural villages in Wales no shops at all. Changing world.

Back
Top Bottom