Chinese network behind one of world’s ‘largest online scams’

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
The mantra of if it looks too good to be true it probably is, strongly applies to this scam. This massive scam is ongoing, so it's a good idea to be aware of it to help falling victim to it even if it might seem obvious.

Vast web of fake shops touting designer brands took money and personal details from 800,000 people in Europe and US, data suggests

More than 800,000 people in Europe and the US appear to have been duped into sharing card details and other sensitive personal data with a vast network of fake online designer shops apparently operated from China.

An international investigation by the Guardian, Die Zeit and Le Monde gives a rare inside look at the mechanics of what the UK’s Chartered Trading Standards Institute has described as one of the largest scams of its kind, with 76,000 fake websites created.

A trove of data examined by reporters and IT experts indicates the operation is highly organised, technically savvy – and ongoing.

Operating on an industrial scale, programmers have created tens of thousands of fake web shops offering discounted goods from Dior, Nike, Lacoste, Hugo Boss, Versace and Prada, as well as many other premium brands.

However, the sites have no connection to the brands they claim to sell and in most cases consumers who spoke about their experience said they received no items.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
I had this happen to me twice during the pandemic. Big scammers....they sent me a tiny tank top and said my item was delivered....oh no it wasn't! That's not what I ordered. I got so tired of fighting with them and took the $60.00 loss to keep my sanity.

Now I'll only buy from websites I know are legit. Thanks for this link Retro!

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Oh that sucks, Tiffs. I'm a bit paranoid of things like this happening to me so have always stuck with well known brand names like Amazon, Scan etc who have good reputations.

I've got a thread on here about Amazon Marketplace sellers pulling scams like this and Amazon being surprisingly unhelpful with refunds. Thankfully, I've never been a victim of this.

Back
Top Bottom