ChromeOS Flex

Geffers

Linux enthusiast
Watched an interesting video about installing and using ChromeOS Flex onto a PC or Mac.

It is still in beta but as the presenter of the video says, Google's beta stuff is quite stable.

If you have a Google account then well worth trying this out, I am using it on an external thumb drive and at the moment cannot see an advantage in installing to a proper HD as I don't think the installer allows installing alongside a current OS or to various partitions.

Quite impressed with performance despite not really wanting to be beholden to Google.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Geffers

Geffers

Linux enthusiast
I've ended up with major problems, not the fault of the ChromeOS but maybe the installation procedure. Tried to install it to a partition on an external practice disk I use. Got the usual warning 'This will overwrite the disk', was expecting next instruction to offer options as to which disk to install to - No it didn't, it reformatted my internal drive with my main system. Various phrases such as damn and blast went through my mind but I am still alive, the World is still spinning.

Not changed my mind about ChromeOS Flex, it is a nice slick system and I am using it to post this.

Geffers

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
wtf?! I'd be livid. Did you have backups of important data at least?

Your main OS is Linux, I believe?

Geffers

Linux enthusiast
One never backs up properly, in all honesty I haven't recalled anything that is important, no doubt some bookmarks will be annoyingly lost.

Bit like a typical man's shed, no idea what's in it but daren't throw anything away unless it comes in useful, think I've got a couple of SCART leads that might come in handy.

Geffers

Arantor

My main question is what it offers that a lightweight Linux distro doesn’t, especially given that a lot of the Google stuff is going to be cloud based anyway. I understand you can run some Linux stuff but not sure how deeply that goes.

I will admit getting Linux to run isn’t the easiest but sometimes neither is Windows, done my fair share of reinstalls over the years. And there are more and more “easy to run” options for Linux than there used to be.

Back
Top Bottom