Concorde jet sails down Hudson River after seven-month restoration

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Every aviation enthusiast likes Concorde, so seeing one being transported on a barge is quite a sight. It's also sad to see it no longer in service, not even as a heritage project. People would have jumped at the chance to fly in one of these iconic aircraft and paid good money for it, too.

Concorde on barge.jpg

More pictures in the article.

The retired Concorde jet that belongs to New York's Intrepid Museum was sailed down the East River in New York as it returns home after a seven-month restoration.

The supersonic jet travelled by barge up the Hudson River and will be lifted by a crane onto Pier 86, the officials at the decommissioned aircraft carrier turned museum said in a news release.

I wonder where the anchor points are to lift it by crane.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Indeed it is. They've got one at Duxford Air Museum. I could actually walk through it and there was an old boy there who was happy to wax lyrical about it. There were no passenger seats there either, just lots of test kits. I reckon the designers of that plane were geniuses to achieve all this with the primitive computers of the day.

It was one of the early test planes and allegedly the fastest ever Concorde when the test pilots decided to push it that little bit faster than they should have. They never wrote it in the log, or officially admitted it, either. 😉

The engines were missing from it and I can tell you, it's not a small plane. Kinda medium sized and that delta wing still looks amazing.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
I had to look up "wax lyrical"... love my new phrase I learned today from NZ. :)

Nice that there was someone so enthusiastic to share details of the air craft. I'm sure that was very cool touring this Concord at the museum. :)

Geffers

Linux enthusiast
First flew 1969, same year as first flight of 747, same year as first Moon landing.

Geffers

Back
Top Bottom