Crocs pass up opportunity to chow down on stranded dog

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Picture this: three huge crocs in a river with a stranded dog stuck there within snacking distance and... they save it? Yeah, hella lucky for said dog. Incredible actions and big respect to said crocs.

Three crocodiles saved a dog seeking refuge in a river - in a possible display of "emotional empathy".

A report published in the Journal of Threatened Taxa outlines how a young dog was observed being chased by a pack of feral dogs and entered the shallow waters of the Savitri River, in India's Maharashtra.

The dog had not spotted the three mugger crocodiles floating nearby, which began edging closer to what appeared to be certain prey.

The adult reptiles - described by the Wildlife Institute of India as "opportunistic predators" - instead pushed the dog to safety using their snouts.

They even guided him to an area of the riverbank that wasn't occupied by the feral pack, allowing the dog to make a safe escape on land.

It was an action the journal said may have been down to "sentient behaviour suggestive of cross-species empathy".

The "curious" incident was uncharacteristic of the crocodiles.
No shit! 😄

Just look at the way the dog is looking at the croc: fear, abject, but it was ok.
Stranded dog.jpg

@FF @Mars @Tiffany @wolfdeer Check this out.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
My heart rate went up reading this story and imagining another outcome. OMG, glad the dog is okay....wow!!

Retro

Founder
Staff Member

Mars

Staff Member
Picture this: three huge crocs in a river with a stranded dog stuck there within snacking distance and... they save it? Yeah, hella lucky for said dog. Incredible actions and big respect to said crocs.

No shit! 😄

Just look at the way the dog is looking at the croc: fear, abject, but it was ok.
View attachment 1524

@FF @Mars @Tiffany @wolfdeer Check this out.
Totally unbelievable, what a lovely beginning to my day.

FF

Administrator
Staff Member
What a crazy story. Could have ended so badly, but turned out wholesome. I still won't decide go swimming with crocs any time soon, if I can help it.

Back
Top Bottom